You will have the opportunity to network with like-minded experts, academics and policymakers from around the world who are responding to disasters, conflicts and complex political emergencies.
Careers and skills
Our students come from a wide variety of backgrounds and many are working full-time jobs in real-time humanitarian responses where they can take full advantage of the flexible nature of the course.
The learning and teaching on the International Humanitarian Affairs programme from University of York enables you to build upon the practical knowledge gained from your professional experience with cutting-edge theory and an insight into humanitarian policy making. Successful completion of the course leads to a globally recognised qualification.
Our graduates have gone on to leading roles in governmental and non-governmental organisations, the United Nations and charities, working in areas affected by disasters and conflicts around the world. Their work spans the humanitarian and development spectrum, from camp management to advising the UN and governments on humanitarian responses. Many go on to further study at York and other leading universities.
- Central government roles
- Local government roles
- United Nations roles eg in the High Commission for Refugees, the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the Mission in Sudan and the World Health Organisation
- International NGOs eg Mercy Corps, Care International, Aga Khan Development Network, Save the Children and Shelter Box
- International Donor Agencies eg DFiD (UK) and USAID
- University roles
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Examining Humanitarianism
- Protection and Assistance in International Humanitarian Law
- Humanitarian Response: Food and Nutrition, Shelter, Health and WASH
- Research Methods in Humanitarian Affairs
- Education in Emergencies
- Evaluating Humanitarian Programmes
- Communities in Humanitarian Affairs
- Disasters in Complex Political Emergencies
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications can be submitted year-round, but we recommend you apply as early as possible as entry to many courses is competitive.
DisciplinesInternational Relations Sociology View 46 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 2:1 or equivalent in an appropriate subject. We are willing to consider applications from those who do not have the appropriate qualifications but have suitable humanitarian and development experience through working with the United Nations, international humanitarian and development organisations, government authorities, community-based groups or local charities.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5060 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5060 GBP per year during 24 months.
National5060 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5060 GBP per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.