In this Biosciences - Evolutionary Biology programme at University of Turku , students can expect to acquire scientific and analytical skills, expertise in present theories and up-to-date technologies, as well as practical skills including teamwork and interpersonal skills; all in an international environment.
After starting with a general overview of evolutionary biology, and what is entails to be a biological researcher, this programme focuses mainly on evolutionary genetics. Emphasis is on gaining data science (programming) skills, with expertise in bioinformatics, molecular and quantitative genetics.
Teachers include experts in human genetics, microbial, and quantitative evolutionary genetics. Expertise in phylogenetics of animals and plants is brought in by experts from our Museum of Natural History. The skills and knowledge obtained pave the way for future career paths in academia or industry.
Master's Programme in Biosciences educates future experts for positions in academia, industry, and the public sector. Students graduating from the programme are eligible for scientific postgraduate degree studies and may work, among others, as:
- Research scientist
- Project manager
- Research coordinator
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The Master’s degree in Bioscience is a two-year programme amounting to 120 ECTS. Both tracks follow their own curriculum of courses. The degree is comprised of:
- Common courses which provides you essential knowledge needed as well as transferrable skills including mandatory language studies
- Track-specific major subject studies that will provide the state-of-the-art theories and practical skills relevant to the field
- Selectable studies that expand your knowledge in specific thematic areas and special themes of your choice
- Master’s thesis where you will apply your newly acquired knowledge
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Bioinformatics & Biostatistics Genetics View 5 other Masters in Genetics in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You are an eligible applicant for Master’s-level studies if
- you have a nationally recognized first cycle degree – normally a Bachelor’s degree – from an accredited institution of higher education,
- your degree corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study,
- your degree is in a relevant field for the Master’s degree programme that you’re applying to. Please check the section on track-specific admission requirements for detailed degree requirements.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
- Tuition fee Free for citizens of EU/EEA countries or Switzerland, for citizens of non-EU/EEA countries €12,000/academic year
Living costs for Turku
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- The University of Turku supports merited and motivated students with generous scholarships. Scholarships are offered for both Bachelor’s and Master’s level studies, for students who are subject to tuition fees.
- The scholarships are awarded based on academic merits. Applying for a scholarship is simple: just indicate “yes” to the appropriate question on your online application form for the programme.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.