Why study MSc Bioarchaeology at BU?
- Animal bones and human remains are amongst the most common finds on archaeological excavations of all periods
- The archaeological profession has an increasing need for staff with osteoarchaeological training, to assist in the interpretation of archaeological sites and understanding the human experience in the past, particularly their relationship with animals
- Choose one of two specialist pathways within the overall context of bioarchaeology
- MSc Bioarchaeology (Anthropology) – provides opportunities to understand the deeper human past and is ideal if you intend to pursue doctoral-level study of human evolution
- MSc Bioarchaeology (Osteoarchaeology) – gives you the opportunity to engage in more advanced study of non-human faunal remains. Practical experience of the methods and techniques used for recording and analysing osteological remains is embedded throughout the course.
Forensic archaeology is an expanding international field. Upon completion of the Bioarchaeology programme from Bournemouth University you will join other BU graduates who are acknowledged as some of the most experienced forensic archaeologists in the field.
This will open up a wide range of career prospects for you, and you could end up work anywhere in the world examining crime scenes, mass graves & disasters and educating other researchers in new forensic science approaches.
There is an increased demand for archaeologists and the profession has been placed on the government list of skilled occupation shortages.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Principles and Methods in Human Osteology
- Principles and Methods in Zooarchaeology
- Archaeology of Human Remains
- Research Project
- Primate and Human Evolution
- Applications of Zooarchaeological Science
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no application deadline for this course. If you will need a visa, think carefully about the length of time it will take for your visa application to be processed.
DisciplinesArchaeology History Biology View 625 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Bournemouth University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
A Bachelors Honours degree with 2:1 in a required subject.
Required subjects include: Archaeology, History, Biological Sciences, Biological Anthropology, Forensic Investigation, Forensic Biology, Forensic Science or Anthropology
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7750 GBP per year during 12 months.
Fees shown are for 2023/24 entry. For fees and funding information please visit www.bournemouth.ac.uk/pg-funding
Living costs for Bournemouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.