The Master’s degree programme in East Asian Art History at University of Heidelberg is designed to give students the opportunity to acquire in-depth knowledge of the art and visual culture of China, Japan, and, to a lesser extent, Korea, for the purpose of expanding their education and gaining the practical experience required for positions as curators, gallery owners, journalists, etc.
Research at the Institute primarily focuses on:
- Buddhist art, with an emphasis on stone sutras
- Chinese painting and calligraphy
- Japanese painting from the fourteenth to the nineteenth century.
- Early Chinese and Japanese photography
- Transcultural approaches in all areas
- Modern and contemporary research topics
Occupational AreasTraditionally, students of East Asian Art History work in positions at universities and museums, as art dealers, and in galleries. Other career options are found in the areas of journalism, tourism, and publishing.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Master’s degree programme is a modular programme, consisting of a number of different types of courses. These include advanced seminars, lectures, practice classes (language courses), colloquiums, and excursions.
- To quickly begin to gain experience abroad and for optimal development of foreign language skills, students are advised to pursue their coursework in one of the first three semesters by studying abroad.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History View 68 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application for enrollment (available in the service portal )
- acceptance letter
- the originals of school certificates relevant for admission and, where applicable, university certificates
- 1 passport photo (loose)
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1500 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.