Did you ever wonder why there is such a need for finding information in text by using Artificial Intelligence techniques? Scientists and decision makers are very much in need of the information that must be somewhere in textual big data.
You probably never realized, but most big data is textual and the amount of textual information available in digital form is still rapidly growing. Although language is very accessible for humans, it is not for machines. That massive amount of information is very hard to explore! That is where text mining comes in.
The master degree in Linguistics - Text Mining at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is trying to extract knowledge, information and structured data from text and utterances by using a collection of software and Artificial Intelligence methodologies. Although text mining is grounded in linguistics, computer science and Artificial Intelligence, it is extremely relevant for almost all fields of knowledge.
- Worldwide there is an extremely large amount of digitally available text, yet it is hard to find the right piece of information that is relevant for a specific situation.
- There is a fast-growing need for specialists that can apply text mining, turn it into a product and exploit the results in industry, governmental and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
- This Master’s programme offers advanced students a scientific challenge, as well as a great opportunity to apply their field competence in a rapidly growing field of science and industry.
More informationVisit official programme website
- In the first period you will learn the basics of linguistics and programming in Python for Text Analysis. We offer a master degree in Linguistics - Text Mining at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- The second period brings you more specialized knowledge and skills: we will show you how to look at language as data and you will learn to use methods and tools for the processing of language in the course NLP Foundations.
- In period three and four you will really dive into text mining. In Applied Text Mining we will give you hands-on experience to build what we call a reading machine. In Text Mining in Domains you will apply your newly acquired knowledge in your professional domain. At the same time you will follow a course in Machine Learning, especially for working with language.
- You will write your thesis in the last two periods, most likely based on an internship.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Data Science & Big Data View 35 other Masters in Data Science & Big Data in Netherlands
The Master’s programme Text Mining is open for application to students with an academic Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent) in Linguistics. Students who do not have a Bachelor’s Linguistics degree and wish to enroll for the Master Text Mining are invited to submit a request to the Faculty’s Admissions Board. In response to this request, the Admissions Board will indicate what knowledge, skills and insights the student must have in order to be admitted to the programme.
International14762 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14762 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.