We define Eurasia inclusively, comprising not just the five post-Soviet republics of Central Asia, but Xinjiang, Mongolia, Afghanistan, the Caucasus, Russia and Eastern Europe. We believe the Eurasian MA will allow you to explore a wide range of intellectual interests, to receive a rigorous training in your chosen field, and to take an interdisciplinary approach to whatever research questions you develop.
- This Eurasian Studies course from Nazarbayev University is the first multi-disciplinary Area Studies program in Kazakhstan and the wider region focusing on Eurasia
- 2-year funded all-English MA program of 120 ECTS credits.
- Taught by internationally recognized faculty.
- Advised and actively supported by the partnership with the University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA).
- An exciting opportunity to explore the cultures, languages, histories, communities, societies, and politics of Eurasia.
- Includes the five post-Soviet Central Asian states, Russia, Eastern Europe, Mongolia, Xinjiang, and neighboring regions of South Asia, China and the Middle East.
- An unrivaled concentration of scholars with Eurasian expertise, spanning the disciplines of Anthropology, Economics, History, Literature, Oriental Studies, Philosophy, Political Science, and Sociology.
- Advanced academic training for pursuing careers in research, government, international organizations, academia, or other fields.
- Study in Astana, at the heart of Eurasia, with unparalleled access to archives, fieldwork sites, government agencies, international organizations, and foreign diplomats.
- Housing on campus with modern facilities, labs, library and sports center and a monthly stipend (only for Kazakhstani citizens).
- Awards “Master of Arts in Eurasian Studies” degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- General Methodology
- Qualitative Methods and Research Design
- Disciplinary Methodology
- Summer Research and fieldwork practicum
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology Ethnic Studies
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) and a graduate/postgraduate degree (if applicable) in a relevant discipline with a minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of a 4.00. During the application period final year students may submit official current transcript for consideration.
- High motivation and strong interest in the Program as outlined in a personal essay (500 words);
- Three letters of recommendation (written within the last 12 months).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25020 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25020 USD per year during 24 months.
National25020 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25020 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Nur-Sultan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.