Established in 1991, it focuses on art in the period from 1968 to the present, with strands on art history, curatorial studies, and critical theory, and a strong emphasis throughout on professional career development.
- The Contemporary Art program from Sotheby's Institute of Art covers developments in contemporary art from around the world, examining a broad range of artistic practices and institutional structures, from the highly established to the most innovative.
- The program is designed for those who are fully committed to the study of contemporary art and who intend to pursue careers in the field. Graduates of this program have gone on to work at museums, commercial and not-for-profit galleries, auction houses, consultancies, journals, international art fairs, and universities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- This twelve-month-long program is unique in combining rigorous academic study of contemporary art with the acquisition of skills of professional practice.
- The Master’s degree is awarded for 120 taught credits across two semesters, as well as the completion of a 60-credit dissertation over the course of an additional semester.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArt History Liberal Arts Modern History View 151 other Masters in Modern History in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Academic transcripts/mark sheets: from all undergraduate and post-secondary academic institutions attended.
- Two (2) letters of reference: References from an academic or professional contact. For those candidates with work experience, at least one reference should be professional.
- A personal statement (1,000 words maximum): Please tell us about yourself, your reasons for your choice of program, any relevant academic or art related experience, and your future career goals.
- A writing sample: A graded paper of no fewer than 1,000 words from an art history or art-related course or 1,000-word original essay or mock review written for an art publication or website. Footnotes are required for any citations.
- A curriculum vitae or résumé.
- An English language proficiency exam.
International32900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32900 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA27200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27200 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK/EU: MA total: £27,700 / PG Dip total: £22,200
- Non-UK/EU: MA total: £33,200 / PG Dip total: £26,500
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.