The Masters in Monetary and Financial Economics from the ISEG - Lisbon School of Economics and Management (ULisboa) is not compatible with a weak background and with a low-effort profile, as we expect students to be prepared to spend a minimum of 3200 effort hours in 2 years.
The effort required from MEMF students is strongly valued in the labour market. Employers especially recognise to MEMF graduates a strong background in econometrics and quantitative methods, competence in macroeconomics and monetary economics, and a large capacity to face new challenges.
Exigency, competence, and rigour. These have been the leading principles of the MEMF for more than two decades and so they will be.
A master in Monetary and Financial Economics is prepared to work as an economist, financial analyst, researcher and teacher, senior staff member in financial institutions, central banks, international organisations, and public departments. The programme is also an intermediate step to obtain a Ph.D. in the areas of Economics and Finance.
accredited by AACSB
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Mathematical Economics
- History of Economic Thought
- Foundations of Financial Economics
- Monetary Policy
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 1 st Phase 23 November to 28 February
- 2 nd Phase 1 March to 30 April
- 3 rd Phase 1 May to 13 June (Applications by international student (outside Europe) are not recommended during the 3 rd Phase, on account of the time it takes to issue visas)
DisciplinesEconomics Finance View 19 other Masters in Finance in Portugal
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The MEMF is intended to complement and to deepen first-cycle education provided by a Bachelor's in Economics or Finance. The main objective is that students learn how to analyse problems in a rigorous and constructive way, developing their ability to assess the contribution of research in Monetary and Financial Economics to solve the problems in the area, and to use advanced empirical and theoretical tools in Economics and Finance.
- Identity document (Citizens Card/Passport);
- Undergraduate degree conclusion certificate with final average grade;
- Grade transcript with full list course list and grades
- English or Portuguese language proficiency certificate (minimum level: B2
- TOEFL 70, IELTS 6.5 ) for candidates for English or Portuguese degrees (except for candidates from Portugal, those from the Portuguese-speaking countries, and Brazilians).
- Motivation letter;
- Curriculum Vitae;
International4666 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7000 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
EU/EEA3833 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5750 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
- EU/EEA : 1st year - €3750, 2nd year - €2000
- International: 1st year - €4500, 2nd year - €2500
Living costs for Lisbon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.