You can also explore film programming and curating and choose to specialise in areas including film in museums and galleries, audiovisual archival practices, and exhibitions.
You can thus personalise your MA studies and specialise in areas of film and screen media that match your intellectual interests and career goals, while a work placement option allows you to gain practical experience that may enhance your career prospects.
This Film and Screen Media with Film Programming and Curating programme at Birkbeck, University of London is unique in its combination of world-class, rigorous postgraduate study with creative and practical opportunities. Some of the option modules, including the two-month work placement module, could help you stand out in a competitive job market and further your career in the media, creative and cultural industries. The course will also prepare you for advanced research at MPhil/PhD level if you wish to continue studying.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go in to careers in film and television companies, museums and galleries, arts administration and education. Possible professions include arts administrator, museum or gallery curator, or teacher. This degree may also be useful in becoming a programme researcher or television/film/video producer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research/Placement Project and Report MA Film and Screen Media
- Screen Media: History, Technology and Culture
- Artists' Film: the museum, the gallery and beyond
- Critical Remix Video: Practice and Theory
- Curating Film, Sharing Passions
- Documentary: Filmmaking Histories and Digital Practices
- Film Festivals
- Screen Media and Archival Practices Today
- Shaping Contemporary Film Culture B: Themes in Film Festivals
- Shaping Contemporary Film Culture A: The Essay Film and the Archive
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 291 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- As part of the application process, you are required to complete a 700-1000-word written exercise discussing how you would programme for an audience a film or television programme you have recently seen.
- Upon review of the application and the entrance task, admissions tutors will invite successful candidates to attend an interview.
- After the interview, a final decision on the application will be made.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15200 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8350 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.