The Master of Science Teaching (MST) Program at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (NMT) was initiated in 1969 at the urging of then Governor of New Mexico, Jack Campbell. Governor Campbell recognized a serious need to improve precollege science and mathematics instruction in the state. He suggested a summer program of graduate level science and mathematics courses for high school teachers. NMT was approached for the program because of its recognized leadership in the fields of science and technology.
Teacher enhancement - Training of teachers in the mathematics and science content areas will enrich the classroom experience of students, with the expectation of increased math and science literacy of all students and increased student interest in math and science careers. This is especially true for pre-college and Advanced Placement curricula as MST courses emphasize current and updated information and teaching methods. Importantly, NMT faculty follow-up permits continued MST student and faculty interaction, thus sustaining and reinforcing concepts and information delivered during MST coursework. MST graduates have traditionally continued taking NMT courses as a means of staying up-to-date on advances in STEM.
MST Program Objectives
- To enhance the development of dynamic learning communities comprised of university faculty, MST students, and students of MST students.
- To provide current, applicable Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) content to MST students, consistent with principles of effective practice in facilitating adult learning including the promotion of collaborative spirit among NMT faculty, students, and STEM professionals; the respect of students' uniqueness and separateness; provision of opportunities for the systemic and altering process of exploration and investigation, i.e. reflection on action, more exploration and investigation, more reflection on action; and last, the encouragement of self-directed learning that considers alternate ways of thinking, learning, and assessment.
- To enhance classroom teaching and learning through the acquisition of in-depth STEM content knowledge and mastery of successful, effective pedagogical strategies and approaches.
- To enhance the development of the abilities of MST students to apply vertically integrated curriculum through utilization of national teaching and content standards and Advanced Placement, thus contributing to the development of the educational pipeline carrying students to STEM careers.
- To provide research opportunities for teacher-participants and their students in collaboration with university faculty.
- To provide distance learning opportunities via webcasting and frequent on-line interaction between university faculty, teacher-participants, and their students.
More informationVisit official programme website
MST courses are offered during the summer in five two-week, intensive segments. Typically, a course from each distribution area (Math, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Geology, and Engineering/Computer Science/Economics) is offered during each session, depending on the anticipated enrollment. These courses may run the entire two weeks or for only one week. Students may register for as many or as few courses as they like each summer, but they may only take one course in any given time period.
Courses are added to the program based on the expressed desires of the students, faculty availability, and on the needs perceived by the MST Advisory Committee. All courses must be recommended first by the MST Advisory Committee Member most versed in the subject matter and then approved by the committee. The Graduate Council and The Faculty Senate must then approve the new offering.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesTeaching View 255 other Masters in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
For more information, please visit program website.
International37686 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18843 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National22164 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11082 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.