The Art and Visual Culture Education - Art and Visual Culture Studies degree from the University of Arizona offers undergraduate and advanced degrees: we offer a BFA degree with 2 track options (Community & Museums, and Teaching), as well as an MA degree in Art Education with 3 track options (Art & Visual Culture Education, Community & Museums, and Teaching), and a PhD degree in Art History and Education. These are integral parts of the comprehensive art programs offered by the School of Art.
The AVCE programs are intended to meet the needs of students who wish for professional understanding within the field of Art and Visual Culture Education. Students may pursue a BFA and an MA in AVCE, or pursue a concentration in community and museums, or earn their teaching certification.
In the graduate programs, students develop their own focus in conjunction with an AVCE faculty member. MA students may choose to submit a theoretical Thesis or practice-based Report to complete their degree requirements.
Resources and Facilities
Students at the UA School of Art have exceptional resources available to them, besides mentorship by an international faculty with strong reputations in research and practice.
The University houses several museums, including The University of Arizona Museum of Art, the Center for Creative Photography (one of the world’s leading photography archives and exhibition centers), the Arizona State Museum, and the Joseph Gross, Lionel Rombach, and Student Union art galleries.
The University Library has an extensive collection of books, periodicals, and media and is ranked seventeenth among research libraries in the United States.
In addition, the School and Division facilitate internships, work-study, and other learning opportunities with various organizations across the city, including the Center for Creative Photography, the University of Arizona Museum of Art, the School of Art galleries, Tucson Museum of Art, and many community organizations.
Graduates of Art and Visual Culture Education at the University of Arizona are well placed in the world of Art and Visual Culture Education. A few of the places our graduates are working include:
Many schools across Arizona, the southwest and the nation
- University of Dayton OH
- Antioch College, Seattle WA
- Cochise College, Cochise Count, AZ
- Pima Community College, Tucson AZ
- Cloud State University, MN
- Bowling Green State University, OH
- The Pablove Foundation, Los Angeles CA
- The Museum of the African Diaspora, San Francisco CA
- Apple Computers
- Perpich Center for Arts Education, Minneapolis MN
- University of Advancing Technology, Phoenix AZ
- Rosseter House, Phoenix AZ
More informationVisit official programme website
- Wildcat Art is an eight week long Saturday art program offered every spring by the University of Arizona School of Art. Wildcat Art classes are structured to encourage students to explore ideas and issues through contemporary and traditional art media & practices.
- Experiences are designed specifically for students at each age/grade level from kindergarten through adolescence (K-12). Classes are taught by advanced and graduate art and visual culture education students, in collaboration with art and visual culture education faculty.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Visual Arts View 421 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 1-2 page Autobiographical Statement addressing your educational and personal experiences, achievements, and goals relevant to art and visual culture education.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Writing or Research Sample. Maximum of 10 pages.
- Transcripts from all previous colleges and universities attended. For initial evaluation purposes, you may attach scans of official or unofficial transcripts.
- The names and contact information for 3 referees who will be submitting Letters of Recommendation on your behalf.
International20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10063 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National20126 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10063 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
In-State11938 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5969 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
The School of Art offers fee waivers, scholarships, fellowships and graduate assistantships for graduate students in good standing. These awards are competitive and assigned during both fall and spring semesters.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.