SLU is currently ranked as number one in forestry science. Here you can learn about history, ecology, and management of the world’s largest forest biome, which provide essential raw materials and services worldwide.
Forests serve as a home for a great diversity of organisms and cultural heritage and play vital roles in global water, carbon, and nutrient cycles. At the same time they are increasingly impacted by intensification of land use and interacting global changes such as climate change, atmospheric deposition, invasive species, and natural disturbance like wildfires.
The resulting changes in the ecosystem properties may in turn feedback to global climate, and impact upon the provision of forest products and services. Maintaining functioning forests, and the ecosystem services that they provide, will require new management strategies and the ability to deal with conflicting interests.
During the Forest Ecology and Sustainable Management program from Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, students will gain a comprehensive skill set of ecology and management and develop into broadly competent professionals and researchers who
- have a deep and comprehensive understanding of forest ecosystem properties and processes and how management activities affect the provision of forest products and ecosystem services and
- have a vast set of practical and professional skills needed to make evidence-based forest management decisions to achieve multiple forest-use objectives.
Students will practice specific skills and tools frequently used in forest-related research and industries, such as data analysis, modelling, problem identification and solving, decision making, communication, and writing. The programme also emphasizes interactions between students, academic researchers, and professionals within the Swedish forestry and land-management sectors and government.
FESM graduates are highly competitive in the job market and qualified to continue studying in a doctoral programme. During the two years of the programme, students will learn advanced topics in forest ecology and sustainable management for multiple objectives, practical skills, and professional development. Students will interact with academics, private industries, and public agencies through lectures, field excursions, symposia, and workshops. As international programme, we will create an active social network across the world.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Forest History - Human utilisation and vegetation dynamics
- Forest Ecosystem Ecology
- Silviculture - the science of forest stand management
- Sustainable Management of Boreal Forests
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Sustainable Development Ecology View 52 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission to the General Master’s programme Forest Ecology and Sustainable Management (120 credits) requires students meeting both general and specific requirements.
- General requirements for Master’s studies are a BSc degree from an internationally recognised university, i.e. first cycle qualification comprising at least 180 credits.
- Specific entry requirements for the Master’s programme Forest Ecology and Sustainable Management is one of the following specializations at first-cycle level: - 60 credits in Forest science, Forest management, or Forestry
International12858 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25716 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- First instalment: 67 800 SEK
- Total programme: 271 000 SEK
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.