Our views of events in the past shape and give meaning to the present. The Research Master's programme in Historical Studies (Research) at Radboud University brings historians together with literary, art and cultural scientists to construct critical histories of both the past and the present. Historical enquiry has important transformative potential on not just our ideas about the past but also on present day societies.
Future career opportunities
This programme is primarily intended to prepare its students for an academic career, in particular as PhD researchers. About half of our graduates find such a position in the Netherlands or abroad. The other half also do well and often find academic research-oriented positions. Some of them have been selected as candidates for in company training programs of institutions of higher education or governmental organisations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories and Theoreticians in the Humanities
- International Historical Research
- Sources for Historical Research
- Contemporary Debates in the Humanities
- Methods and Techniques in the Humanities
- Key Research in Historical Studies
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 20 other Masters in Modern History in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Radboud University and/or in Netherlands, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- If you have completed, or are about to complete a study programme abroad, then your diploma will be assessed on an individual basis in order to determine whether your previous education allows for admission. Should your diploma allow for admission, then you could be directly admissible or additional conditions may apply. You will receive more information on these additional requirements during your application procedure.
- English proficiency
- Scan of valid passport (personal details page only) or European ID card
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2314 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2314 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Nijmegen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
We have a number of scholarships available only for international Master’s students. You can find the full list, including details about eligibility requirements and how to apply, on the university's website.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.