The Master's research programme in Historical Studies focuses on building the necessary research skills to explore the topic of your choice. This programme takes an interdisciplinary approach to studying history, allowing you to build a programme that suits your needs. You will participate in seminars with students from Literary and Cultural studies disciplines, allowing for cross disciplinary exchange.
Teaching takes place in small groups, and students are given personal tutors to help guide them on their research paths. This programme is closely connected to the Research Institute for Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies, meaning you will work with and be taught by experts in the field. You will also be able to take advantage of Radboud's extensive network, and you are encouraged to find study and research opportunities abroad.
What will you learn?
- Get a background in the leading perspectives, theories, concepts, paradigm shifts and methodological approaches in the field of humanities
- Get valuable experience in designing, conducting and presenting your own research
Receive thorough preparation for eventual PhD research, including the writing of a publishable scholarly article and a proposal for a PhD project
- Build a professional international network
This programme prepares students for a PhD position and an academic career. Graduates from this programme could also find work in a number of different positions:
- Researcher at a cultural or scientific organisation or research centre
- (Digital) archivist
- Assistant of a senior researcher
- Teacher at an institution for higher education
- Policy-making official in the fields of culture and science
- Editor in the field of historical or cultural scholarship
- Staff member of a publishing company or text agency, usually with regard to scientific, historical or cultural journals
- Curator of a cultural heritage institution or in the museological sector
- Consultant for a political party
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories and Theoreticians in the Humanities
- International Historical Research: Violence in History
- Methods and Techniques in Humanities
- Contemporary Debates in the Humanities
- Sources of Historical Research
- Key Research in Historical Studies
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
Radboud University will consider EU/EEA applications until 1 July, but we may not be able to offer assistance with accommodation.
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 27 other Masters in Ancient History in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Your admission into this programme depends on your previous education. You are admissible if you have a completed Bachelor's degree from a Research University in History or related area. The Admission Office will determine if an international student has the required knowledge to be admitted.
- Your average grade during the second and third years of your BA studies has to have been at least a 7.5 and your Bachelor’s thesis had to have received a grade of at least 8.0.
- Strong motivationYou have to be able to demonstrate your motivation for and affinity with international academic research. A selection committee will evaluate the motivation of each applicant separately.
- Letter of reference
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak which has led to the temporary closure of test centres, Radboud University currently also accepts the iBT TOEFL Special Home Edition. For all other questions regarding the coronavirus please visit our FAQ.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9124 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9124 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- Radboud Scholarship Programme
- The Orange Tulip Scholarship Programme
- Holland Scholarship Programme
- Fulbright-Radboud Scholarships
- StuNed scholarship programme
- Radboud University Medical Center Study Fund
- Radboud Faculty of Arts Study Fund
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.