You will explore the essential elements in language teaching, studying the processes of learning and teaching language, in addition to the study of language itself.
You will also develop the knowledge and skills required to evaluate TESOL theoretical frameworks, materials and procedures in addition to those required for the practical management of the classroom.
Language education expertise
The Language Education Team in the School of Education is nationally and internationally recognised for its range of teaching, research, knowledge transfer and consultancy work in TESOL, ELT, EFL, ESOL, EAL, Modern Foreign Languages, and Applied Linguistics.
As a large team of education practitioners, we have a wide range of experience of teaching and teacher education work in many contexts in the UK and around the world.
As researchers, we have a broad range of expertise across the discipline with ongoing research projects in teacher development, language use in migrant communities, learning with digital technologies, and IELTS preparation courses.
The majority of our students of TESOL Studies at the University of Leeds are international students, and they tend to return to their home countries to embark on careers in English language teaching in primary, secondary or tertiary education in the private or public sectors.
Many such graduates are now teaching in, for example, university language centres, private language schools, or state secondary schools in the Middle East, China, Japan, Korea or Cyprus.
Each year we do have some UK students, some of whom remain in the UK teaching ESOL, while others go abroad.
The methodological skills and theoretical knowledge they develop have allowed some to move into teaching other languages, such as Chinese.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Dissertation in MA TESOL programmes and MA TESOL Studies
- Analysing Language Learning
- Language Teaching Methodology
- Analysing Language
- Creative Inquiry, Communication and Learning
- Technology Enhanced Language Learning
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- We recommend that international students apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Teaching View 348 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A bachelor degree (hons) with a 2:1 or non-UK equivalent in a subject that shows a strong grounding in English Language and/or Education, Linguistics or Foreign Languages. High grades in these subjects are essential.
- This programme is designed for students who do not have the two years of experience needed for our other TESOL programmes.
- Beyond a first degree of an appropriate standard and appropriate English language skills, we have no specific requirements. However we do prefer applicants who can demonstrate an interest in the field of language teaching, for example having been involved in tutoring.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Tuition FeeVisit official programme website
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.