Language specific and multicultural programme
Intercultural Communication is an interdisciplinary program of the Department of Languages, Literature and Communication at Utrecht University . You can therefore complete the study program in a language-specific way and acquire high-quality competencies in a foreign language and the associated culture. But you can also opt for a multilingual program, in which you analyze communication processes in different languages and cultures.
Over the course of one year, this Master’s programme will prepare you for an international career. Through rigorous interdisciplinary methods, you will gain experience in communication from linguistic, communicative, cultural, anthropological and management perspectives. You will learn to put knowledge into practice during your compulsory internship. Many internship options involve a strong focus on analysing communication products- and processes in international organisations and contexts.
After graduation, you will be ready for various positions relating to intercultural communication processes in organisational and cultural contexts. You will be able to design and execute (practice-oriented) language and communication research. You will also have the knowledge and tools to advise companies and organisations on communication processes for migrants and expats (communicative auditing).
Alumni of this programme often apply for jobs in the fields of:
- human resources
- consultancy and PR
- mediation and training
- sales and marketing
- language education
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Plurilingualism & Mediation: Intercultural Competence
- Communication, Diversity and Organisation I: Theoretical Models
- Communication, Diversity & Organisation II: Research Methods
- Intercultural Consultancy
- Culture and Identity in the German Context
- Culture and Communication in the German Context
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Communication Sciences Language Studies View 42 other Masters in Communication Sciences in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You can be admitted to the programme in Intercultural Communication if you have a Bachelor's degree from a Dutch university (or an international equivalent) and have the following competencies:
- You are able to recognise and implement interdisciplinary approaches in the field of intercultural communication. This is demonstrated by at least 15 EC language and communication science courses at an advanced Bachelor's level and 15 EC culture studies courses at an advanced Bachelor's level
- You have basic knowledge of and insight into administration, management and organisation, evident from at least 7.5 EC coursework
- You have knowledge of the methods and techniques in the research of intercultural communication (7.5 EC)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17280 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17280 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.