Highly skilled environmental scientists are critical for the safe and responsible governance of our environment. This Environmental Monitoring and Assessment MSc course offered by the University of Southampton will give you the ability to carry out environmental assessments and audits, handle environmental information and work with geospatial data.
On completing the course, you’ll be able to show your knowledge and understanding of:
- the importance of environmental concepts, terms, principles and methods
- the value of using techniques and ideas in different subject disciplines
- the socio-economic context of environmental issues and the legal framework for environmental regulation
- the contribution of science, engineering or communication to the identification and resolution of environmental issues
- the human causes and consequences of environmental impacts
- general environmental concerns, including biodiversity, environmental limits to economic or population growth
You’ll also have opportunities to work with environmental organisations and visit leading environmental and sustainability initiatives such as infrastructure projects.
With this degree you'll have great career potential in local government, the private sector, national and international organisations, as well as research institutions (public and private).
Graduates have the skills to manage complex problems, work with diverse stakeholders, and understand the challenges of interdisciplinary working. They are sought after for roles in:
- environmental monitoring
- water resource management
- pollution control
- carbon management
- sustainable waste management
- sustainable energy
- wildlife conservation
- ecological management
As well as broader sectors such as the food, buildings, energy, telecoms and water industries.
All of these sectors need to think about environmental sustainability either through choice or through legislation. Employers look for environmental master's graduates with interdisciplinary cross-cutting skills in communication, problem- solving, leadership, and team working, which is why they form a core part of our assessment process.
- Sustainable Resource Management
- Environmental Management Systems
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Coastal and Maritime Engineering and Energy
- Energy Resources and Engineering
- Geographical Information Systems for Environmental Consultants
- Environmental Law and Management
- Waste Resource Management
- Coastal Flood Defence and Management
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 323 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United Kingdom
- You’ll need a 2:1 degree in a relevant subject.
International25400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25400 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £25,400.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.