Students pursue a rigorous core curriculum as well as practical experience alongside a dedicated faculty of committed teachers who have active careers in the professional theater. Our classes are small, allowing for personal mentorship and the opportunity to customize.
The Theater program of the University of Massachusetts Amherst includes professional training programs with specializations in Costume Design, Directing, Dramaturgy, Lighting Design, or Scenic Design and Technology. Graduates of our program receive the Master of Fine Arts degree and are prepared to work in resident professional theaters, in colleges and universities, and in many other areas of performance.
All MFA students, in all programs of study, are assessed on the basis of these 10 benchmarks, in addition to the ones specific to each MFA program:
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate ideas and concepts with your team, orally and visually
- Ability to read, analyze, and contextualize a wide variety of dramatic texts and performance styles
- Ability to listen well to others, and to remain flexible, open, and in dialogue throughout a collaborative process
- Ability to manage time effectively and get your tasks done on time
- A strong grasp of the research process, and the ability to transform research into viable ideas and visions
- Knowledge of all steps of the theatrical creation process, from early conversations through the realization of the work in all its performance, design and technical aspects through to the stage when the audience takes part
- Ability to show leadership and vision in your discipline, and to be proactive and entrepreneurial in creating opportunity for yourself and others
- Willingness to take risks, to try new things, to “fail”
- Ability to be creative, controlled, and professional, even in stressful situations
- Ability to remain joyful, playful, and resourceful in collaborative situations: a positive sought-after presence
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Group Studio
- Textual Analysis
- World Rep
- Directing Studio
- Scenic, Lighting, or Costume Studio
- Performance Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 268 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An applicant’s undergraduate degree need not be in Theater, but previous training and experience should be comparable to that required for the Bachelor of Arts in Theater at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. Applicants with incomplete backgrounds in theater who show exceptional artistic promise may be admitted provisionally
- The main Graduate School application, including Personal Statement.
- Transcripts of all previous academic work
- Resume of relevant professional experience
- At least two letters of recommendation (you may submit three)
International20080 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10040 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National20080 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10040 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State9342 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4671 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.