It is directed at students who come from diverse musical backgrounds and who are at the forefront of the creation and creative use of music technology.
Student research is supported by close mentorship with our faculty, digital music studios, and the Studios for Integrated Media (SIM). There is ample opportunity for collaboration with musicians, artists and researchers from other disciplines in addition to performance opportunities.
We chose to create a master's program to emphasize the creative aspect of this degree. While students receive broad training in music technology, we refrain from setting specific qualifications or requirements, whether related to electronics, engineering, or computer science. Instead, we expect students to arrive with some advanced knowledge in a particular area of their own musical practice. We offer tools to refine, expand, and explore new possibilities in any such domain, including instrument building and electronic composition as creative technologies.
Our students come from all over the world to seek unique intersections of music composition, performance, technology, and computer science according to their own research agendas.
Recent projects include:
- multi-channel compositions
- a new synthesizer sound database for professional use
- multi-media sound installations that reflect ongoing research across aural, visual, and tactile parameters
- an examination of environmental and ecological concerns relating to sound as part of a practitioner’s approach to research, likely resulting in an interactive museum installation.
The Music Technology program at University of Victoria, British Columbia works equally well as a gateway for further, specialized research at the PhD level. We celebrate this diversity of outcomes and encourage our students to work across UVic to seek collaborative opportunities with other divisions in order to shape new and exciting projects that stretch the boundaries of music and technology.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Graduate Study and Music Bibliography
- Computational Music and Audio Analysis
- Music Technology Colloquium
- Music Perception and Cognition
- Advanced Human-Computer Interaction
- Multimedia Systems
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Music View 67 other Masters in Visual Arts in Canada
- The School of Music gives priority in admissions considerations to students intending to register on a full-time basis.
- Applicants to the master’s programs must hold a BMus or BA in music from a recognized university, with at least a B+ or 6.0 average in the work performed in the last two years (or last 30 units) of undergraduate study.
- All applicants should submit a one to two-page statement outlining their background, their goals as a musician and/or scholar, and their reasons for wishing to pursue their graduate degree at the University of Victoria.
- All applicants for admission to the MMus in Music Technology will be required to provide, in addition to the regular admission forms, a full curriculum vitae describing former studies and relevant work experience. Additionally, applicants are asked to provide examples of work that illustrate their preparedness for a graduate program in Music Technology.
International5074 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5074 CAD per year during 24 months.
National4022 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4022 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Victoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.