Upon completing the Economics programme taught at University of Helsinki you will be awarded the Master of Social Sciences degree, having demonstrated that you have developed many skills needed in your future career:
- Profound knowledge of economic theory and familiarity with scientific economic literature
- The ability to apply economic theory to solving practical problems and interpreting economic phenomena
- Familiarity with econometric methods and the ability to apply them to practical research problems
- The ability to collect and interpret empirical data
- The ability to communicate conclusions and assess the significance of the assumptions made for them
- Fluency in communicating economic issues to different domestic and international audiences as well as the capability to work independently and in multidisciplinary cooperation
- Readiness to assess your own professional performance and systematically develop it, and
- Knowledge of sources of economic information and the ability to adopt new tools of economic analysis.
The programme comprises two tracks. The Research track is more demanding in that it gives more profound knowledge of economic theory and econometric methods than the General track. This track is particularly suitable if your goal is to pursue a doctoral degree in economics. Profound knowledge of economic theory and methods is also useful in many demanding careers as an economist.
The degree requirements in both tracks correspond to international standards, which will help you when finding employment and pursuing further studies towards a doctoral degree in Finland and globally.
The Master's Programme in Economics is offered at the University of Helsinki. Economists are employed in administrative, planning and development duties requiring economic expertise in various national and international organisations.
Examples include an analyst career involving risk management, asset pricing and investment strategy, jobs related to analysing the market, production and pricing in companies, assessment and planning of economic policy, and communication. Analytical skills and knowledge of quantitative methods will be of central importance in your work as an economist.
In particular, economists find employment in government, financial institutions, central banks, national and international organisations, and business.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced studies
- Economic theory and econometric methods
- Research skills
- Master's thesis
- Field courses in economics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Application period: 1 December- 15 January
DisciplinesEconomics Finance Natural Sciences View 12 other Masters in Economics in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You have completed by 31 July a first-cycle degree (e.g., bachelor’s degree) or second-cycle degree (e.g., master’s degree) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete studies required for the master’s programme by 11 January. Below are more details concerning applicable studies.
- You have sufficient proficiency in Finnish, Swedish or English.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries, who do not have a permanent residence status in the area and pursue their studies in English, are liable to pay tuition fees.
- Fully Funded Grant (Tuition fee + 10 000 EUR)
- Full Tuition fee Grant
- Study Grant (10 000 EUR)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.