Risk management is a crucial part of running a business, and our MSc Risk, Crisis and Resilience Management degree course at University of Portsmouth will take your aptitude and mould it into expertise – so you'll be ready to steer organisations through critical situations as a risk manager, ensuring both their success and yours.
On this course, you'll learn how to identify, assess and manage financial, environmental and technological risks, as well as threats presented by unpredictable situations.
You'll get the knowledge and skills needed to become a proficient and capable risk manager, honing analytical and problem-solving abilities that are highly valued by employers.
What you will experience?
On this course, you'll:
- Learn from guest speakers who are experts in the field, providing insight into real-life scenarios and a practical take on managing risk
- Study key topics like Strategic Risk and Risk Behaviour, Crisis Management and Governance, and Organisational and Environmental Risk
- Be supported by academically qualified staff with research and consultancy experience, as well as links to industry
- Sharpen your analytical, decision-making and communication skills, learn how to manage risk more effectively, and make a difference in the organisation where you work
- Get to grips with the current tools and techniques used to understand risk management
- Have access to our library's electronic resources 24/7, including thousands of ejournals and newspapers
- Choose to study either full-time (one year) or part-time (two years)
Careers and opportunities
Because of an increase in British and International Standards in Risk and Crisis Management, Organisational Resilience and Continuity, there's a growing demand for risk specialists. This need has been further exacerbated by our reliance on technology, the increased risk of conflict, and extreme weather conditions; there are now many career opportunities in this field. When you graduate, you can expect to pursue a career managing risk in industries including healthcare, petrochemicals, environmental organisations, and business.
Our previous graduates have gone on to work in industries including:
- Oil and gas
- Health service
- Financial sector
- Security industries
- Emergency services
- Security Management
Alternatively, you may want to continue your research in the related areas of risk, programme and business management.
This course is accredited by The Institute of Risk Management (IRM).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Core modules on this course include:
- Strategic Risk and Risk Behaviour
- Organisational and Environmental Risk
- Crisis Management and Governance
- Project and Research Methods
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership Risk Management Actuarial Science View 1699 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15100 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students – £4,500 per year
- International students – £7,550 per year
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.