The MSc in Geochemistry is a full-time taught postgraduate programme run by the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences.
Geochemistry is a fundamental discipline within the Earth Sciences, providing the techniques and knowledge to address such fundamental questions as: was there ever life on Mars, how do planets form, and what are the rates and drivers of climate change, both past and present?
The MSc in Geochemistry at the University of St Andrews is comprehensive and rigorous comprising compulsory and optional taught modules, field work, short courses, and a research dissertation. Hands-on experience developing a diverse set of laboratory skills is embedded into the course.
- The MSc provides preparation for pursuing a PhD through a lab-based research dissertation, or employment in industry by incorporating applied economic and environmental geochemistry modules and the possibility of industry-sponsored research.
- A wide range of expertise in the field of geochemistry, underpinned by new state-of-the-art laboratory facilities.
- A dynamic and research-intensive atmosphere is encouraged and is supportive of all students.
The range of research areas and applications of Geochemistry is so broad that career opportunities span the whole of earth and environmental sciences. Masters-level training in Geochemistry would provide a suitable platform for a career in materials science outside of earth and environmental sciences specifically.Geochemists with MSc degrees are employed in:
- the energy sector (hydrocarbon industries, petrochemicals, nuclear and renewables)
- mining and mineral exploration, extraction and processing
- environmental industries and agencies focused on pollution monitoring and environmental remediation
- universities as laboratory technicians running equipment and supporting high quality data production for research projects.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Geochemistry
- Analytical Sciences
- Earth's Greatest Hits
- Geochemistry Field Excursion
- Isotope Geochemistry
- Physical Chemistry Laboratory
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Geography Geology View 63 other Masters in Geology in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree in a subject-related area.
- CV or résumé. This should include your personal details with a history of your education and employment to date
- personal statement
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates. Please only upload certified copies with official English translations if applicable. Do not send original documents as they cannot be returned.
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International24240 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24240 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
National9900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9900 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.