The MLitt in Intellectual History at the University of St Andrews is an interdisciplinary taught postgraduate programme. The course explores major historical, historiographical, and methodological aspects of intellectual history alongside an individually tailored programme of directed reading.
- This interdisciplinary programme brings together experts from across the University with a common interest in researching and contextualising key ideas in their subject areas.
- Students learn to treat past ideas as historical phenomena, as well as assess the meanings of these ideas as intended by their authors, and in contexts beyond those their authors may have foreseen.
- The course covers the different kinds of intellectual history being practised today, and the relationship between intellectual history and philosophy, literature and literary studies, international relations, law, politics, economics and theology.
The modules are taught through seminars and fortnightly tutorials, with class sizes ranging from individual supervision up to 12 students. The modules are assessed by coursework only; there is no final exam.
History postgraduates go on to pursue careers in a range of sectors including journalism, publishing, think tanks, government, law and teaching.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Current Controversies in Intellectual History
- Directed Reading (Masterclass in Intellectual History)
- Theory and Practices of Intellectual History
- Turning Points in the History of Ideas
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Modern History View 493 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree in a subject-related area.
- personal statement (optional)
- sample of academic written work (2,000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International19400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19400 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9450 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.