The MLitt in Biblical Languages and Literature at the University of St Andrews is a one-year taught programme run by the School of Divinity. The course focuses on text-critical issues, and students will gain proficiency in the grammar and syntax of Hebrew and Greek, and become familiar with the use of critical editions of texts and the methods, sources and norms of Biblical scholarship.
- Focus on the reading of biblical manuscripts and the use of the apparatuses of the critical editions of the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint and the New Testament with preparation for research degrees.
- Increase proficiency in the grammar and syntax of both Hebrew and Greek.
- Gain a critically and historically informed understanding of biblical traditions and their textual development.
- Contextualise the various methods and sources employed in bibilical scholarship to use textual investigations in broader biblical, historical and theological research.
The MLitt in Biblical Languages and Literature provides excellent preparation for a PhD in Biblical Studies. Many of its graduates have moved on to PhD programmes either at St Andrews or other major institutions.
Regular workshops, both general and subject-specific, in areas such as publishing, conference presentations, and job searches are offered by the School of Divinity and the University.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Greek Readings
- Hebrew Readings
- Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Religious Studies & Theology Linguistics View 377 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 undergraduate Honours degree in Biblical Studies or a closely related discipline.
- CV or résumé. This should include your personal details with a history of your education and employment to date.
- personal statement (optional)
- sample of academic work (2,000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International20370 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20370 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9900 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.