The MLitt in Biblical Languages and Literature at the University of St Andrews is a one-year taught programme run by the School of Divinity. The course focuses on text-critical issues, and students will gain proficiency in the grammar and syntax of Hebrew and Greek, and become familiar with the use of critical editions of texts and the methods, sources and norms of Biblical scholarship.
- Focus on the reading of biblical manuscripts and the use of the apparatuses of the critical editions of the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint and the New Testament with preparation for research degrees.
- Increase proficiency in the grammar and syntax of both Hebrew and Greek.
- Gain a critically and historically informed understanding of biblical traditions and their textual development.
- Contextualise the various methods and sources employed in bibilical scholarship to use textual investigations in broader biblical, historical and theological research.
The MLitt in Biblical Languages and Literature provides excellent preparation for a PhD in Biblical Studies. Many of its graduates have moved on to PhD programmes either at St Andrews or other major institutions.
Regular workshops, both general and subject-specific, in areas such as publishing, conference presentations, and job searches are offered by the School of Divinity and the University.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Greek Readings
- Hebrew Readings
- Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 138 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 undergraduate Honours degree in Biblical Studies or a closely related discipline.
- CV or résumé. This should include your personal details with a history of your education and employment to date.
- personal statement (optional)
- sample of academic work (2,000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International19400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19400 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9450 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.