The MSc in Human Computer Interaction at the University of St Andrews is a one-year taught programme run by the School of Computer Science. Much of the core content is delivered by members of the St Andrews Human Computer Interaction (SACHI) research group.
The course consists of two semesters of taught components followed by an 11-week project leading to the submission of a 15,000-word dissertation in August.
- The MSc in Human Computer Interaction is a specialist course but retains some flexibility, allowing students to pursue other areas of computer science alongside the compulsory specialist modules.
- The course develops students' practical skills in the process and practice of prototyping and implementing interactive computing systems.
- Students undertake a significant project, including a wide-ranging investigation, leading to their dissertation which enables them to consolidate and extend their specialist knowledge and critical thinking.
- The School has a dedicated HCI laboratory with specialist equipment, including an 84-inch Microsoft Hub, a 3D printer, Google Soli sensors, and a diverse range of eye-tracking and motion-capture equipment.
- Students have 24-hour access to modern computing laboratories, provisioned with dual-screen PC workstations and group-working facilities.
The Human Computer Interaction (HCI) MSc modules have been developed by expert researchers who regularly publish in leading international conferences (for example, ACM CHI, UIST, InfoVis and MobileHCI).
As a result, students who complete this MSc will be at the forefront of HCI and Information Visualisation and have access to a range of roles in industry such as UX designers, visual analysts, interaction designers and interaction architects.Alumni of Computer Science MSc programmes have gone on to work in a variety of global, commercial, financial and research institutions, including:
- Barclays Capital
- BT Openreach
- Capricorn Ventis
More informationVisit official programme website
- Green Information Technology
- Human Computer Interaction Principles and Methods
- Information Security Management
- Information Technology Projects
- Information Visualisation and Visual Analytics
- Interactive Software and Hardware
- Knowledge Discovery and Datamining
- Language and Computation
- Masters Programming Projects
- Practice in Computer Communication Systems
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Human Computer Interaction View 590 other Masters in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree.
- CV or résumé. This should include your personal details with a history of your education and employment to date.
- Personal statement (optional).
- Two original signed academic references.
- Academic transcripts and degree certificates. Please only provide certified copies with official English translations if applicable. Do not send original documents as they cannot be returned.
- Evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International23090 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23090 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9450 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.