Through Gender Studies at The Chinese University of Hong Kong rigorous training in related theories and methodology, students are led to see how a seemingly private and intimate dimension of human existence, namely, sex and gender, actually impacts on and, at the same time, is being constructed by wider social, cultural, economic and political forces in various spheres and levels of a person's life. Critical reviews of the perpetuation of gender inequality in public policies, propped up by existing values and perceptions in society are also encouraged.
The Programme equips interested people with essential analytical tools for understanding sex, gender, gender issues and their impacts on human behaviour, social development and public policy.Students are able to make use of analytical tools and multiple perspectives to understand gender issues and to become aware of gender inequality around them. The rigorous training in critical thinking is helpful, not only in raising students' gender awareness, but also in understanding the myriad complexities of social life.
The MA in Gender Studies at The Chinese University of Hong Kong is beneficial to those whose work requires knowledge in gender studies, especially persons who in their occupational capacity design, make decisions on, and evaluate policies, projects that have a gender dimension.
With the increasing emphasis on gender issues in the society, the graduates of Gender Studies are working in many different industries, especially social and medical welfare, media and creative art industries.
- Gender Studies
- Feminist Methodology
- Gender, Sexuality and Race in Political Issues
- Advanced Topics in Gender Studies
- Contemporary Women's Issues
- Making Change: Feminism, Civil Society and Social Transformation
- Genders and Sexualities in a Globalizing World
- Gender and Work
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies Philosophy & Ethics Modern History View 5 other Masters in Modern History in Hong Kong (SAR)
A CV (optional)
- A statement of purpose (in word or pdf format)
- graduated from a recognized university and obtained a bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B"; or
- completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
- English Proficiency
International19032 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19032 USD per year during 12 months.
National19032 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19032 USD per year during 12 months.
- Full-time: HK$149,400 per annum
- Part-time: HK$74,740 per annum
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.