Emphasis on experiential learning is a distinctive feature of our Programme. Since religion is a living phenomenon in our society, fieldwork constitutes a core learning activity for students to integrate religious theory and application, and to gain a greater understanding of the daily religious practices of people, both locally and overseas.
Over the past years, students participated in a large number of field trips organized either by individual courses or research centres to visit religious sites in Hong Kong, Macao, Mainland China, Malacca, Japan, Portugal and so forth.
The Religious Studies programme at The Chinese University of Hong Kong being principally not career-oriented, most graduates in the Graduate Exit Survey strongly agree with the question: “The Programme has provided me an excellent foundation for my life-long learning”. Students recognize and affirm the Programme’s main objective of heightening their cultural and religious sensitivity, as well as critical and analytical skills, which lay a solid foundation for their lifelong learning.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories of Religious Studies
- Religion, Heritage and Context
- Studies on Chinese Buddhism
- Popular Religion in China
- Taoist Thought
- Spirituality and Religious Congregation
- The study of Islam
- Hindu Visions of Divinity
- Studies Of Humanistic Buddhism
- The Hebrew Bible in Contexts
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 28 February (1st round)
- 24 April (2nd round)
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 3 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in Hong Kong (SAR)
- Graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor’s degree (major subjects are not restricted), normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- Graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a Bachelor’s degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than “B”; or
- Completed a course of study in a tertiary education institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree; and
International14574 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14574 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National14574 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14574 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Full time: 113,000 HKD by 2 installments
- Part time: 113,000 HKD by 4 installments
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.