At Anthropology programme at The Chinese University of Hong Kong students spend the first year taking courses in preparation for their fieldwork. Students conduct fieldwork in the summer after their first year, and spend the second year writing the thesis.
Students at Anthropology programme at The Chinese University of Hong Kong will:
- learn about fundamental theories and methods of anthropology, covering the full range of areas addressed by social and cultural anthropology in the past and at present, and
- get anthropological training and guidance to carry out their own extended ethnographic research projects from start (proposal), to fieldwork and write-up, to finish (publication).
- Seminars in Hong Kong Studies
- Seminars in the Anthropology of China
- Seminars in Anthropological Theory
- Seminars in Research Methods
- Directed Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Clearing Round: 31 March (Applications in Clearing Round will only be considered subject to availability of places.)
DisciplinesArchaeology Anthropology Sociology
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students are eligible for admission into the M.Phil. programme if they have (1) a B.A. in anthropology and a solid academic record, or (2) a B.A. or M.A. in other subjects with a solid academic record, and practical background in anthropology, such as extensive work experience in other cultures.
- Complete undergraduate or postgraduate transcripts with official signature/stamp chop and sealed with official envelope
- Two letters of recommendation
- Proof of proficiency in English
- Receipt of application fee
- Copies of certificates and a copy of applicant’s HKID card or other identity document
- A two-to-three page statement of purpose, describing why the applicant wants to study anthropology at CUHK and what research project the applicant proposes to carry out
- A copy of sample of the applicant’s writing, preferably a research paper
- A completed application form under web of Graduate School
International5363 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5363 USD per year during 24 months.
National5363 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5363 USD per year during 24 months.
HK$42,100 per annum regardless of the study mode
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.