By undertaking an original piece of research you will develop a mixture of high-level subject-specific and generic skills, including:
- Project management: the ability to organise, plan and carry through to completion a complicated project
- Technical expertise: project dependent but may also include good laboratory and fieldwork practice and advanced health and safety skills
- High-level oral communication skills: especially on projects involving external partners and sponsors with whom you will liaise
- Strong written communication skills: in writing up your research project, you will become proficient at explaining complex ideas
- Data analysis skills: data handling, collation, and, where appropriate, statistical and graphical analysis
- Self-motivation: although you will be closely supervised, you will have to be strongly self-motivated to succeed
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Current available projects:
- Measuring loneliness and its corresponding effects among ageing populations
- A new flood onset warning system for the Barotse Floodplain, Zambia
- Ecological value of stately homes
- Tropical forest response to heat
- Hydraulic vulnerability of Southern Amazonian forests
- Testate amoebae as environmental indicators in natural and artificial peat pools
- Recent graduates who wish to follow up their first degree with more in-depth study of a particular field of interest, linked to further study such as a PhD or to a job in a particular sector (e.g. water company)
- Mid-career candidates who are currently employed, for instance in education, local government, or environmental consultancy, who want a continuing professional development
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
You can start at an MbR any time of year (on the first day of any month).
DisciplinesGeography View 89 other Masters in Geography in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You will need at least a UK 2:1 honours degree or equivalent.
- English proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Tuition FeeVisit official programme website
Partial fee bursaries are available for Masters by Research projects in the Centre for Spatial Analysis and Policy and Ecology and Global Change research cluster.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.