The Art Education program of Academy of Art University will help you grow both as an artist and as an educator. You will study and explore art education programs in schools, communities, and museum settings by carefully examining ideas and notions through a global perspective lens. Your Capstone project will envision, create, implement, and document your vision of a successful education arts program.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Art and Design Skills
- Create a portfolio of work representing a broad range of visual art/design media.
Teaching and Communication Skills
- Design effective art education curricula targeted to an intended audience with consideration for the needs of diverse learners.
- Demonstrate an advanced level of knowledge of sound instructional strategies based on content standards in the visual arts, key contemporary art theories and experiences in the field.
- Demonstrate an advanced level of knowledge for appropriate uses of technology in arts education settings.
- Articulate the importance of art in education based on advanced levels of research, observation and experience.
- Articulate the formal and expressive properties of works of art / design as well as their content, meaning and purpose at an advanced level.
Research and Conceptual Development
- Produce work that reveals advanced levels of analysis, insight, design and methods based on the distinctive needs and characteristics of art education settings and audiences.
Knowledge of Human Development
- Demonstrate an advanced level of knowledge of human developmental stages and their application to learners’ cognitive, social, emotional and physical abilities in art education settings.
- Demonstrate an advanced level of knowledge of learners' diverse linguistic and cultural needs in art education settings.
- Demonstrate an advanced level of knowledge of accelerated learners and special needs learners (physical, cognitive, etc.) in art education settings.
- Demonstrate professional-level presentation skills appropriate to art education settings.
- Demonstrate breadth and depth of accomplishment as an artist and art educator through a professional portfolio at an advanced level.
Academy of Art University offers some of the best training and hands-on experience to help you excel in careers in art education. We pride ourselves in doing an exceptional job preparing you to excel as an art educator. Our degree programs are designed to equip aspiring art instructors with a comprehensive toolbox of marketable skills that will lead to success in your future career.
As an art teacher in a private, public, or charter school, you’ll help inspire the artists of tomorrow directly in the classroom. You’ll prepare and implement lesson plans, address various learning styles and needs, and analyze qualitative and quantitative student data.
Community Arts Leader
As an arts leader in community settings you’ll plan, organize, and implement programs as well as activities for a wide range of audiences and settings. Help bring the arts to communities around the world or in your backyard and bring the joy of arts to everyone.
As an art education instructor at a university, you’ll contribute to the higher education of tomorrow’s artists. Explore complex subjects, lead class discussions, and encourage critical thinking as you guide students through various subjects.
Inspire the next generation of artists as a museum educator. You’ll lead hands-on tours and activities for a range of audiences, as well as contribute to the educational growth of your community.
As a teaching artist, you’ll instruct artists of the future in a variety of settings. You’ll develop curriculum and syllabi with Program Directors, coordinators, as well as lead teachers and establish lines of communication with students and their families.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Educational Psychology
- Overview of Art Education Theories and Practices
- Crossing Borders: Art & Culture in a Global Society
- Addressing Language & Special Needs in an Inclusive Classroom
- Integrating Technology into Art Education Settings
- Curriculum Design and Planning
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Visual Arts View 545 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International1191 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1191 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1137 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1137 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.