You will learn methods to make healthcare safer, more efficient and of higher quality through computer based information and knowledge management.
Students in the Joint Master's Programme in Health Informatics at Karolinska Institutet may have their initial training in either the health sciences or computer science. During the first semester, students with technical backgrounds take courses in basic medical sciences, health care organisation and management, while students with healthcare backgrounds learn basic computer and systems sciences. The first semester ends with a joint course in health care information systems.
- IT implementation in healthcare requires people with a solid understanding of both the needs of the healthcare sector and the strengths and limitations of technology.
- A health informatician's unique interdisciplinary expertise makes him/her particularly suited to assume a coordinating and bridging role between these two areas.
- Many health informaticians work as project managers. Other common roles are CMIO (Chief Medical Information Officer) or CCIO (Chief Clinical Information Officer), IT managers, clinical informaticians, application experts, requirements analysts, system specialists, system developers, interaction designers, evaluators and researchers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The second semester covers basic health informatics methods for user needs and requirements engineering, methods for evaluating different aspects of health information systems during and after implementation, as well as health informatics standards. Further, students will get an introduction into data science methods and have a course on scientific methods at advanced level.
- The third semester provides an introduction to project management where previously studied data science methods will be applied in project form. Further, students have the choice of either a course in information security or entrepreneurship.
- They will also get insight into current research topics in health informatics through a course preparing students for own scientific studies. The fourth and final semester consists of a thesis in which students carry out a larger scientific study.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHealth Informatics View 3 other Masters in Health Informatics in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants with foreign academic credentials should follow the documentation requirements for master's applicants at universityadmissions.se
- Applicants with Swedish academic credentials should follow the documentation requirements at antagning.se
- All documents must have reached University Admissions by the deadline for supporting documents 3rd of February 2020.
International15849 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 31699 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
330 000 SEK
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.