The programme focuses on human health and prepares students for either a research or professional career and provides a solid platform for doctoral education in toxicology-related fields or employment in risk/safety assessment-related areas in the public sector or in industry.
The Master's Programme in Toxicology at Karolinska Institutet was one of the first toxicology programmes in the world when it started in 1976. The programme is unique in its two-year cohesive focus on toxicology and human health. The ToxMaster programme covers principles and applications in toxicology for a broad range of chemicals - pharmaceuticals, pesticides, cosmetics, environmental contaminants, occupational exposures etc.
The programme provides a solid foundation for a career in toxicology as either a doctoral researcher or a risk/safety assessor in the public or private sector in Sweden or abroad. Previous students/alumni are employed at:
- Academia - as doctoral students/researchers at various universities world-wide
- Governmental agencies - Swedish, European and other agencies for chemicals, food, pharmaceuticals etc.
- Industry - pharma and chemicals
- Consultancies - safety assessment support to small and medium sized companies, e.g. cosmetic companies
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The programme utilises its close connection to high-quality research and risk assessment work at the Institute of Environmental Medicine (IMM) - the main centre for education and training in toxicology and health risk assessment in Sweden.
- The programme also collaborates with pharmaceutical and chemical industries, national authorities such as the Swedish Chemicals Agency, the Swedish Food Agency, the Swedish Poison Information Centre and RISE (Research Institutes of Sweden), as well as with KI doctoral courses, researchers at other departments both within and outside KI. Since 2004 the ToxMaster programme regularly visits the European Commission Joint Research Centre and especially their laboratory for alternatives to animal testing (EURL-ECVAM).
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants with foreign academic credentials should follow the documentation requirements for master's applicants at universityadmissions.se
- Applicants with Swedish academic credentials should follow the documentation requirements at antagning.se
- All documents must have reached University Admissions by the deadline for supporting documents 3rd of February 2020
International19209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 38419 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
400 000 SEK
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.