The Ecological Restoration program of the British Columbia Institute of Technology combines the strong technical and applied (experiential) knowledge at BCIT with SFU’s fundamental (contextual) basic science and community engagement expertise. The product is a unique joint-degree program that will fundamentally advance both the practice and science of ecological restoration.
The Strenghts of the Program
- Is a unique interdisciplinary & inter-institutional curriculum;
- Is at the leading edge of this new, and rapidly growing, environmental discipline;
- Courses have been specifically designed to offer advanced, specialized training in ecological restoration;
- Entails an interdisciplinary, hands-on approach to addressing pressing practical problems;
- Permits specialization in restoration of aquatic or terrestrial ecosystems;
- Focuses on using applied research to provide solutions to government, institutional, and industry problems;
- Has strong industry connections via client-based research projects; and
- Is a unique program in Canada, and is among very few similar programs in North America.
- Concepts of Ecological Restoration and the Physical Environment
- Planning and Monitoring for Ecological Restoration
- Concepts of Ecological Restoration and the Biological Environment
- Restoration of Terrestrial Ecosystems
- Restoration of Aquatic Ecosystems
- Project Management & Policy for Ecological Restoration
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEcology Environmental Sciences View 23 other Masters in Ecology in Canada
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at British Columbia Institute of Technology and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A four-year bachelor’s degree in ecological restoration, ecology, plant science, animal science, soil science, environmental science, resource science (land, water, fish and wildlife, forestry), physical geography, environmental engineering, or a related program from a recognized post-secondary institution
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0/4.33 (70%; B average), or a grade point average of at least 3.33/4.33 (77%; B+ average) based on the last 60 credits/units of undergraduate courses
- One introductory course each in ecology and statistics
- Two upper-level courses in any combination of: biology, ecology (plant, fish, wildlife, restoration/reclamation, etc.), statistics, plant science, soil science, physical geography (hydrology, geomorphology, limnology, etc.), forest science, natural resource management, environmental science, or related courses
- IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE (Academic) scores
- Three references
- Resume and official transcripts
International12084 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6042 CAD per semester during 24 months.
National8572 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4286 CAD per semester during 24 months.
- $21,432.20 for domestic students
- $30,214.70 for international students
Living costs for Burnaby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.