English Literature from a broad perspective
The English Literature and Culture (Literary Studies) programme of the University of Amsterdam caters to students whose interests and academic backgrounds are in literary studies and European culture in the broad sense, and English Literature and Culture and World Literature in English in particular. The programme also offers you the opportunity to explore the interrelations of literature with other kinds of cultural objects, such as films, digital media and the visual arts.
The Master's programme English Literature and Culture prepares students for a career in any sector of cultural life, education, publishing, journalism, media, communications and the civil service. Graduates can also go on to pursue a PhD programme at the UvA, another Dutch university or a university abroad. Depending on their specific area of interest, graduates may opt to continue in the Research Master's in Literary Studies, or the Research Master's in Cultural Analysis, both of which are offered at the UvA.
- Critical Approaches to Literature and Culture
- Bodies and the Posthuman
- Contested Realities: Debating the Novel
- Shakespeare, Sexuality, and Adaptation
- Narrative and Globalization
- Contemporary European Literature: The Postmodern Detective
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Literature View 113 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in the humanities or social sciences with a minimum of 30 ECTS (equivalent to a full-time semester of academic studies) taken in a literary subject (English Literature, Comparative Literature, European Literature, Classics, Cultural Studies with a literary emphasis, etc.).
- You are expected to have an awareness of basic theoretical notions that are used in the analysis of texts (e.g. concepts such as ‘metaphor’, ‘narrator’, ‘metre’, etc.).
- English language proficiency
International16060 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16060 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.