The Global Political Economy specialisation offers students exciting and rigorous explorations of the world economy that bring critical perspectives to bear on some of the most important issues of our times.
As a student in the Global Political Economy specialisation, you will address such key concerns as the determinants of economic growth, poverty, and inequality; the changing organization, operation, and logics of global industries; environmental sustainability and equity challenges arising from features and effects of global capitalism; and implications of the world market for the vitality and future of democracy.Global Political Economy at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme of International Relations. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited master’s degree in International Relations and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Career prospectsOur graduates end up working in a diverse range of positions, examples include:
- Policy advisor, at a ministry of foreign affairs
- Communications manager and project assistant at an NGO promoting reconciliation and peace
- Consular spokesperson at a ministry of foreign affairs
- Consultant at an NGO
- Project manager at a company specialising in geo-services, international development and project management
- PhD candidate and research assistant
- Communications officer at an international student federation
- Research analyst at a consultancy firm
- Product manager at a multinational company
- University relations manager at an education intermediary
- Senior immigration expert at a multinational accountancy and consultancy firm
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructurePreparatory course and MA thesis
- The preparatory course introduces you to core conceptual, methodological and theoretical issues you meet when you initiate, research, and write your MA thesis.
- In addition, a series of seminars will enable you to discuss specific issues related to International Relations. Your thesis is supposed to be based on original research that speaks to the core themes of the MA International Relations.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesEconomics Political Science View 53 other Masters in Political Science in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
- Motivation letter
- Letters of recommendation
- Requirements for and how to submit letters of recommendation
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.