In the MFOdont Forensic Odontology from University of Dundee you will study:
- dental identification and profiling
- disaster victim identification
- age estimation from dental sources
- dental report writing and giving evidence
- limitations of bite mark identification
- bite mark analysis according to ABFO Standards and Guidelines for Evaluating Bitemarks
- preparation of a research paper suitable for publication
Studying alongside students in forensic medicine and law means you will gain an understanding of the role of other forensic disciplines and identify when, where and how forensic dentistry links with the wider forensic community.
You'll develop your forensic dentistry skills through practical experience, assisting with identifications of human remains. This will make you aware of the complexity involved in the examination of a person's body after death.
Our methods of teaching include seminars, case scenarios, lectures, a mock trial, demonstrations and observation in a working forensic mortuary, practical experience, report writing, fictionalised or real case scenarios discussions and practical mortuary experience.
You can go on to work in a regular dental practice and provide expert opinion when requested by coroners or procurator fiscals, police, and solicitors.
Some forensic dentists work in cases involving dental insurance fraud and litigation cases.
Many countries have established a Disaster Victim Identification team and forensic dentists are an important part of it. You can also be deployed as a team member of a privately held company.
- Forensic Science and the Law
- Academic writing and communicating science in dentistry
- Bite Mark
- Dental Identification and Disaster Victim Identification
- Dental Tissue Biology
- Age Estimation by Dental Means
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Dentistry View 996 other Masters in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- At least 2 years post-qualification dental experience is desirable before applying. This is not a requirement but those with experience will be considered ahead of those who are newly-qualified.
International24100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24100 GBP per year during 24 months.
National24100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24100 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Dundee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.