The programme's core modules introduce you to key debates that have shaped thinking on international poverty and development, and will equip you with knowledge of the conceptual and theoretical bases of development.
They will improve your skills of evaluation and analysis, enabling you to participate critically in debates on the changing nature of the multilateral, bilateral and non-governmental institutions designed to address development issues, the context in which they operate and the constraints they face. You will also have the opportunity to choose from a range of thematic option modules, allowing you to tailor the programme according to your personal or career interests.
In addition, you will develop transferable skills including team-working, written and oral communication, and qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
The International Development programme at Birkbeck, University of London is ideal if you are interested in studying international development at postgraduate level for personal or professional reasons, but you don't yet want to commit to the full MSc.
- The Department of Geography offers multiple approaches to the study of societies and cultures, human geography, and sustainability, poverty and development, as well as community and citizenship, at local, regional and global levels.
- One of the unique strengths of our Department is the breadth of research interests of our staff. Subsequently, we offer a very wide range of courses that reflect the disciplinary breadth of development and globalisation, while also allowing you to engage with other disciplines, such as anthropology and sociology.
- You will be surrounded by committed fellow students from all cultures, backgrounds and career stages who are eager to share their experience and expertise with their peers.
- Ours is a vibrant research culture, powered by a shared passion for learning and intellectual engagement among our academics and students. We have a strong commitment to social justice, which informs and shapes much of our cutting-edge research.
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), Sociology at Birkbeck was ranked 13th in the UK.
- We have strong links with the London International Development Centre, which can enhance your employability.
Careers and Employability
Graduates go on to careers in development agencies and other international organisations, policy research, journalism, or the non-governmental sector. Possible professions include policy researcher or journalist. This degree can also be useful in becoming a market researcher or tourism officer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Development Studies: Theoretical Approaches
- The Political Economy of Aid
- 'Race', Ethnicity and Development
- Anthropology, Culture and Development
- Development Management
- Gender and Development
- International Political Economy of Childhood
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesManagement, Organisation & Leadership International Development View 1453 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree (2:1) in social sciences or humanities. Other applicants will also be considered.
- Previous experience or study of development issues may be an advantage.
- Two references: preferably both academic references, but employer references may be considered.
- An entrance task may be required once the Admissions Tutor has reviewed the applications.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International10150 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10150 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA5600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5600 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.