The MA in Geography at Maynooth University offers a wide-ranging programme of taught modules. Core modules develop competencies in human geographic thought and field methods; methodological modules develop skills in analysis, research and public engagement; and specialist modules provide the opportunity for research-led teaching and learning in areas such as 'Art, Culture and Environment' and 'Cities, Politics and Globalisation'.
The MA in Geography also includes an independent research thesis, to be submitted in July. Overall, the programme is designed to nurture independent and critical thinking from a human geography perspective.
Graduates of the MA in Geography will have the knowledge, skills and competence to research and analyse contemporary issues and problems from a human geography perspective.
Some will find employment in research, public policy, civil society, artistic and curatorial practice, heritage practice, urban or global development, or advocacy roles; while others develop the skills to create employment in these or other areas. The MA in Geography also provides an excellent platform for those interested in progressing to PhD studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Field School
- Thinking Geographically
- Research Methods in Geography
- Spaces of Algoritmic Governance
- Spatial Justice: Geographies of Social & Environmental Change
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeography Geology Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We accept a degree in Geography or cognate discipline with a Second Class Honours, Grade One (2.1) or above. In special circumstances we may accept a Second Class Honours, Grade Two (2.2) upper.
- We also ask for a personal statement, to include a brief description of any aspects of your work or other experience which you feel are relevant to the programme and how you hope the programme will benefit your practice in these areas.
- Applicants must have a recognised primary degree which is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14000 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6500 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.