The curriculum of the Biomedical Sciences degree offered by the University of Bergen deals with questions like:
- What are the cellular mechanisms/pathways of diseases and disorders?
- How is the genotype in different diseases?
- How do genes and the environment interact?
- How can we improve/enhance therapeutic efficacy?
- How does the brain work?
Biomedical research has a central role in shaping tomorrow's medicine, through the development of new drugs and understanding disease mechanisms.
The impact of new discoveries in biomedicine is significant: we develop technology that can lower the production costs of medicine, we analyse cancer development and progression and develop molecular imaging techniques.
Through biomedicine, we understand human body function and health. Fighting infectious diseases through new therapies and vaccines also has an extra impact on life in developing countries.
The master’s programme offers you the opportunity to engage in biomedical research and to be an active member of an international research group.
- Introduction to Philosophy of Science and Research Ethics
- Methods in Medical Cell Biology
- Cell Communication and Intracellular Signaling
- Tumour Biology
- Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience
- Cardiovascular Physiology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesBiomedicine Biology Bioinformatics View 3 other Masters in Biomedicine in Norway
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You need a bachelor's degree in Molecular and/or Cell biology, Biomedicine, Physiology, Life Sciences, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or the like. You also need to document an average grade of minimum C. Equivalent to Norwegian grade C
- Yaou should have a minimum of 80 ECTS in relevant courses, including a minimum of 20 ECTS in chemistry or biochemistry and 20 ECTS in molecular and/or cell biology. Other relevant courses include biology, biotechnology, anatomy, physiology, medical laboratory courses, mathematics, informatics, image sciences, nanotechnology and physics.
- All applicants will be assessed individually. The selection of students will be based on the following criteria:
- Depth and relevance of educational training
- Academic results
- English proficiency
- Year of completion of academic degree (should not be older than 5 years). Exceptions from this rule may be considered on individual basis.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
The semester fee is NOK 590
Living costs for Bergen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.