The Academic Master in The Art & Craft of Costume Designer, only degree in Italy recognized by MIUR, directed by Maestro Andrea Viotti, is in collaboration with costume shops, shoe factories, makeup and hairstyle laboratories and Roman millineries, credited for their curriculum, competence, creativity and craftsmanship level, and of service to the most important international film, theatre and tv productions, representing the highest “made in Italy” heritage and experience.
- The role of the costume designer is fundamental in the opera house: an artist who knows costume history and tradition, its roots, anthropological and psychological interpretations, emotional suggestions, that through his creations dictates the measure of time in which the story takes place, the psychology of the characters, faithfully reflecting what is expressed in music.
- The Master aim is to educate, shape and train the future assistant costume designers and/or professional costumiers able to work at both national and international levels in Opera and Ballet. The students will be able to analyse and interpret the theme, perform in-depth historical research, design sketches, sample fabrics, design accessories, makeup and wigs needed for a production.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The course is theoretical-practical and offers important tools for designing, modeling, machining, experimenting and applying sartorial techniques to the realization of costumes, wigs, makeup and masks, hats and accessories.
- The “educational experience”, moreover, is characterised by a transfer of sociological knowledge (character characterization), economic-management (budget), organizational (relationships) and operational (bargaining and needs management / department).
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The Master has a limited number of places available in order to maintain the quality level of each student’s experience. Due to demand, candidates who would like to apply need to be admitted. The process includes an interview and Portfolio presentation.
- At the conclusion of the Master’s Degree the graduates will receive a Academic Master Diploma (60 credits ECTS), internationally recognized by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR).
International2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2500 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2000 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.