About the course
- BAFTA approved. BAFTA endorsement is a significant recognition of the industry focus of the course and means that you can be sure you will be studying on a course that has been recognised as fully industry-relevant by THE leading organisation in the sector. As stated on the BAFTA website, "The eligible courses have been identified by industry professionals as producing students ready to work in film, games or television".
- Develop a showreel demonstrating your creative talent in composing music and designing sound for a wide range of media (video, film, video games), opening up a 360º horizon of possibilities and opportunities for work.
- Collaborate with MA Film students in our School of Creative Arts.
- Learn in the university’s top-class facilities, assisted by tutors who are themselves industry professionals
Why choose this course?
All aspects of the soundtrack are systematically explored in both linear and non-linear environments, leading to a fuller understanding of the discipline, of the industry, and of the production processes.
On this Music and Sound for Film and Games course from University of Hertfordshire , you will harness the whole gamut of sonic resources for your creative practice – from acoustic instruments to electroacoustic sound, utilising all the latest studio techniques and technologies.
You’ll study in the University’s top-class studios, supported by tutors who are experienced industry professionals, with potential to collaborate with students from our MA Film course.
With targeted sessions and expert guidance, you’ll develop a showreel demonstrating your creative talent in providing sound and music for a wide range of media (video, film, video games), opening up a 360º horizon of possibilities and opportunities for work.
Graduates from this programme will be ideally positioned to pursue a career in the thriving field of acoustic/electroacoustic composition and sound design for film, television, and interactive games. You may, in addition, consider positions in music publishing, music journalism and criticism, teaching or you may continue your higher education at doctoral level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Creative Economies
- Research and Enquiry
- Sound Design In Visual Media
- Music and Sound Project
- Soundtrack in Narrative Film
- Soundtrack in Interactive Games
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Music Video Games & Animation View 106 other Masters in Video Games & Animation in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Hertfordshire and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
A Bachelor Degree in Music / Music Technology or equivalent professional experience. Applications should be accompanied by a small sample of your compositions/productions submitted in digital format: scores (if any) can be attached to your online application as PDF; for audio and video material, please upload your work on any hosting website (e.g. Soundcloud, MySpace, Vimeo, Youtube, etc.) and provide links in your personal statement attached to your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14750 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9750 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- UK: £810 per 15 credits
- International: £1230 per 15 credits
Living costs for Hatfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.