About the course
- Join a programme that is sharply tailored to respond to the current demand for creative professionals who are able to provide sound and music content for the film and video game industry.
- Develop a showreel demonstrating your creative talent in composing music and designing sound for a wide range of media (video, film, video games), opening up a 360º horizon of possibilities and opportunities for work.
- Collaborate with MA Film students in our School of Creative Arts.
- Learn in the university’s top-class facilities, assisted by tutors who are themselves industry professionals
BAFTA Scholarship Programme
If you are intending to apply to undertake this MSc, you may be eligible to apply for a British Academy f Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Scholarship. The BAFTA Scholarship Programme offered talented individuals of any age - those of British nationality or Chinese nationals studying in the UK - a chance to receive up to £12,000 towards your annual tuition fees, mentoring by an industry professional, and free access to BAFTA events.
Why choose this course?
All aspects of the soundtrack are systematically explored in both linear and non-linear environments, leading to a fuller understanding of the discipline, of the industry, and of the production processes.
On this Music and Sound for Film and Games course, offered by University of Hertfordshire, you will harness the whole gamut of sonic resources for your creative practice – from acoustic instruments to electroacoustic sound, utilising all the latest studio techniques and technologies.
You’ll study in the University’s top-class studios, supported by tutors who are experienced industry professionals, with potential to collaborate with students from our MA Film course.
With targeted sessions and expert guidance, you’ll develop a showreel demonstrating your creative talent in providing sound and music for a wide range of media (video, film, video games), opening up a 360º horizon of possibilities and opportunities for work.
Graduates from this programme will be ideally positioned to pursue a career in the thriving field of acoustic/electroacoustic composition and sound design for film, television, and interactive games. You may, in addition, consider positions in music publishing, music journalism and criticism, teaching or you may continue your higher education at doctoral level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Creative Economies
- Research and Enquiry
- Sound Design In Visual Media
- Music and Sound Project
- Soundtrack in Narrative Film
- Soundtrack in Interactive Games
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Music Video Games & Multimedia View 289 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor Degree in Music / Music Technology or equivalent professional experience. Applications should be accompanied by a small sample of your compositions/productions submitted in digital format: scores (if any) can be attached to your online application as PDF; for audio and video material, please upload your work on any hosting website (e.g. Soundcloud, MySpace, Vimeo, Youtube, etc.) and provide links in your personal statement attached to your application.
International13500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8925 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8925 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU Students: £745 per 15 credits
- International Students: £1125 per 15 credits
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.