When you graduate the MSc in Economics and Finance at Cardiff Metropolitan University, you will leave as a professional economist, who is equipped for an academic career, but who crucially is also ready to use economic thinking in the world outside academia. Well qualified economists are in demand in government, industry and, obviously commerce.
The demand for highly skilled and knowledgeable finance professionals is now more global than ever before. No longer are London and New York the only homes for large multi-national international financial businesses and institutions. These potential employers are now additionally located in the Middle and Far- East and a postgraduate student is almost as likely to find their first job in Dubai, Bahrain or Shanghai as in the traditional centres.
This demand has been instrumental in designing this challenging suite of programmes. In order to maximise employability the programme learning outcomes are geared towards supplying students with the knowledge, skills and understanding that the finance industry requires.
The programmes seek to meet individual and industry needs by developing students with higher-level cognitive skills and abilities who also possess an excellent practical understanding of "how to apply" rather than just "why it happens".
All the programmes have a 20 credit optional Professional Work Experience module which involves a minimum 4 week work placement to take place outside the teaching semesters. Students are expected to organise their own placement and all such placements must be substantive and at an appropriate level. These placements will involve “employer” input and must be approved by the Programme Director prior to commencement. Alternatively students with appropriate managerial level experience within an appropriate field can apply for “Recognition of this Prior Experiential Learning”.
The School of Management has opportunities for successful graduates to apply for M.Phil./ PhD study within the School.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Econometrics and Data Analysis
- Macroeconomic Analysis
- Microeconomic Analysis
- Quantitative Finance
- Research Methods
- Capital Markets And Derivatives
- Corporate Finance and Risk
- International Political Economy
- Professional Work Experience
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEconomics Finance View 846 other Masters in Finance in United Kingdom
Applicants should meet one of the following:
- Possess, or expect to obtain, an undergraduate degree or equivalent, in a relevant area (Accounting, Economics or Finance) with a minimum of a 2:2 classification. Students with a general Business Studies degree with a relevant pathway or substantive appropriate module coverage will be considered on a case by case basis;
- Have a minimum of five years relevant work experience in the field of finance;
- Hold a suitable professional qualification from an appropriate professional body. In some instances those with higher level professional qualifications may be exempt from specific taught modules. Such exemptions would be discussed on a case by case basis with the Programme Director.
International14000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Cardiff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.