Our aim is to develop reflective public health practitioners who apply a systematic and practical understanding of public health to improve and protect the health & well-being of the individuals, groups and communities that they work with. We will support you to develop and use a combination of leadership, innovation and technical skills to advocate for, influence and implement changes in policy and practice to reduce or eliminate unjust, preventable differences in health, and promote sustainable development.
The MSc Applied Public Health of Cardiff Metropolitan University is aimed at anyone with an interest in improving the full range of social, economic and environmental determinants of health: for example, people working in public health, education, health promotion, housing, transport, leisure, environmental health, community development, health & wellbeing partnerships, planning, social services, school nursing, and health visiting (not an exhaustive list!). We welcome applicants from all sectors: public, private and the voluntary & independent sector. The programme retains an international focus, addressing public health issues faced around the world, as well as in Wales and the UK.
- The programme provides the underpinning knowledge to enable you to pursue UK Public Health Practitioner registration (which requires completion of an assessed portfolio through a recognised development scheme, such as that operated by Public Health Wales.
- Your aspirations for professional development will be discussed during induction. Support and guidance will then be tailored throughout the programme to ensure that you are best able to fulfil your chosen professional development needs. Part of the Public Health Skills Assessment will include delivery of a presentation reflecting on the development of your public health skills over the course of your studies and experiences, including identification of potential career development goals/opportunities, and actions they intend to take to achieve these.
- An opportunity for work-based learning is provided within the Health Equity Interventions module. You have the opportunity to fulfil the Portfolio assessment of this module by completing a work-based learning project where you investigate a public health issue and work to develop an intervention to promote public health and reduce health inequalities.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Assessing Health, Wellbeing & Inequity
- Health Risk Perception & Communication
- Public Health Policy Development
- Applied Research Methods and Design
- Frameworks for Public Health Intervention
- Health Protection
- Reflective Public Health Practice
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Sciences View 1789 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Cardiff Metropolitan University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- You'll normally be expected to hold an initial degree in a discipline relating to health or the determinants of health.
- However, you can also be eligible if you have other qualifications of an appropriate level, particularly if they are able to demonstrate significant experience in a relevant setting. If you think this might apply to your situation, please contact the programme leader for an informal discussion.
- If you're applying directly following completion of a Bachelor degree, we'll generally expect you to hold at least a 2:1 classification – to ensure that you are equipped for the step up to study at Masters level. However, we consider each application on its own merits depending on the undergraduate subject of study and other factors such as relevant experience (paid or voluntary).
International16000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 GBP per year during 24 months.
National10250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10250 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Cardiff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Master's scholarship opportunities for Applied Public Health.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.