It balances the development of advanced practical design skills with academic rigour and applied research based on the current research activities of Cardiff School of Art and Design and the wider university.
Our Product Design Masters’ Degree will develop your skills and knowledge of human centred interaction design, user testing, service design, creativity, and ethnographic research techniques.
You will also examine the social, legal, ethical and sustainability impacts of a range of design development approaches.
You will explore a range of current and leading theoretical and methodological perspectives, and develop an advanced understanding of physical, perceptual and cognitive principles in design.
The MSc Product Design at Cardiff Metropolitan University has been developed in consultation with industry, and maintains close commercial links through placement modules, sponsorship of major projects, and live briefs. This provides graduates with a deeper understanding of industry practices, and the design development process in a holistic commercial context.
The course is principally aimed at enabling students to develop their careers in the world of professional product design and development. A key advantage in achieving this aim is the industrial placement module. All students are given assistance in gaining a suitable placement either in industry or within the National Centre for Product Design and development Research (PDR) which is located on the university campus.
On completion of the course, graduates may expect to find employment in design consultancies or manufacturing companies anywhere in the world.
Your year(s) of study with us enable you to develop professional contacts, observe how successful practitioners make their living, and hone your skills and ideas for commercial and professional advantage. Such cross-disciplinary collaborations prepare you for a world where you will inevitably work with people from all walks of life. Your live projects and assessments will get you accustomed to the importance of deadlines and working to specific briefs and tight specifications.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Perception, Cognition, Emotion, and Context
- Product Development Principles and Practice
- Research Techniques and Principles
- Sustainability Issues in Design for Production
- User Testing & Evaluation
- Industrial Placement
- Major Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesDesign Graphic Design View 499 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
- Students will normally have achieved a first class or second class upper division first degree (1st or 2.1 degree classification) in an appropriate subject, and/or equivalent professional standing or experience in a Design discipline (based upon assessed Accredited Prior Learning or assessed Accredited Prior Experiential Learning), or a discipline associated with their programme of study.
- Claims for Accredited Prior Learning (APL) are assessed in accordance with the CMU Academic Handbook, based upon either demonstrable evidence of assessed learning outcomes with equivalence, or equivalent experience where students "have learned in similarly ambitious ways".
- School of Art and Design (CSAD) postgraduate applicants are required to both apply via the Cardiff Metropolitan University admissions site, and to complete additional information via the CSAD website.
International14000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 GBP per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Cardiff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.