During the Literature, Visual Culture and Film Studies programme of Estonian Academy of Arts the students will:
- Engage in broadly interdisciplinary MA study programme of the relationship between literature, visual culture and film in contemporary and historical contexts.
- Gain cutting-edge theoretical insights into intermedial aesthetics and into philosophy of literature, art and film.
- Equip yourself with critical tools for cultural analysis of contemporary image and text-based media.
Students also acquire various practical skills such as analytical and problem solving skills, writing and presentation skills that enhance their employment opportunities and prepare them for different career pathways.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for students whose interests are not limited to one of the traditional discipline in the humanities, but who are interested in exploring the relationship between words, still and moving images both historically as well as in contemporary culture.
Why study with us?
- The faculty is comprised of renowned experts in literature, art, film and visual culture.
- Ample opportunities for acquiring practical skills. The programme collaborates with major international literary, art and film festivals in Tallinn.
- Seminar-led courses that foster an active debating and discussing environment.
- Individual approach to students that provides a supportive learning environment and offers the opportunity to follow personal research interests from an early stage of studies.
- International study groups with students from all over the world. The diverse cultural backgrounds of the students contribute to the spirit of comparative study of culture.
- Research centred programme – possibility for further studies at PhD level.
- Open to students from all disciplines in the humanities and social sciences.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Key Concepts in Literary and Cultural Analysis
- Key Concepts in Critical Theory and Visual Culture
- Seminars in Literature, Visual Culture and Film I, II, III
- Word and Image in the Middle Ages/Renaissance
- Histories of Postmodernism: Architecture in Theory and Visual Culture
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Applicants from Russia, Ukraine, Georgia and Kazakhstan:
Deadline for submitting your application: 1 June 2020Sending your documents by post: 30 June 2020
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Literature View 5 other Masters in Visual Arts in Estonia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Statement of research interests (1-2 pages)
- Writing sample (an excerpt from either the BA thesis or a paper, 10 pages)
International1660 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 830 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA1660 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 830 EUR per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Tallinn
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.