The Art History program at John Cabot University has a dual focus: the visual cultures of Rome and the Mediterranean across time, from antiquity to the present; and the acquisition of technical skills for primary research. It also stimulates critical perspectives on the impact of Roman art worldwide.
Seminars and courses take place at John Cabot University’s campuses in the centrally-located Trastevere district of Rome and in nearby Roman museums, churches, palaces, monuments, archaeological parks, archives, rare book libraries, restoration labs, study collections, artists’ workshops, public installations, and contemporary art galleries.
These venues of visual culture and documentation constitute the laboratory of the degree. Some courses involve traveling to other parts of Italy—for example, to Naples, Florence, or Assisi.
The degree is designed to serve as a foundation for art-historical careers in museums, galleries, schools, art consultancies, art publishing houses, and related entities; as preparation for Ph.D. (doctoral) level study in the history of art at other institutions; as continuing education for teachers of art history, history, classical studies, and related subjects; or as career enhancement for current and future professionals in areas where primary research skills and expertise in Roman visual culture offer creative advantages and possibilities for specialization.
Examples include a library and information science, cultural heritage management, historical fiction and script writing, scenography, art conservation, and game design.
John Cabot University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The MA is the first graduate degree program in art history based entirely in Rome offered by a US-accredited university.
- Practicum in Art-Historical Research and Problem Solving
- Case Studies in Art-Historical Practice
- Research Seminar
- Cultural events attendance
- Italian, French, or German reading comprehension test (Fall or Spring)
- Art-Historical Apprenticeship
- 18 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Regular Decision February 1
- Late Decision I June 15
- Late Decision II July 31
DisciplinesVisual Arts History Art History View 15 other Masters in Art History in Italy
- A completed application form;
- A personal statement of 600 words detailing your reasons for interest in the program;
- A sample (10-15 pages) of your academic writing in English, with footnotes and bibliography;
- A CV/Resume
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary (undergraduate and graduate) study undertaken to date. Transcripts not in English or Italian must be accompanied by a certified English translation;
- Proof of completion of a Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent at an accredited university, if not attested in the official transcripts*;
- GRE scores - optional, but strongly recommended for applicants wishing to be considered for funding. Our GRE code is 7772;
- Three letters of reference from professors evaluating your academic work and appropriateness for graduate study;
- Evidence of English language proficiency
International14945 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22418 USD for the full programme during 18 months.
National14000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 USD for the full programme during 18 months.
In-State14000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 USD for the full programme during 18 months.
EUR 19,000 – for citizens of countries other than the United States or Canada
Living costs for Roma
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Graduate Financial Aid Opportunities!
- Tuition Grants
- Student Loans
- Veteran & Military Family Aid
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.