By challenging the role and norms of traditional design towards an emerging type of ‘advanced design’, unshackled from the history of specialisms and entrenched methods, you will become part of a community of practice. You will be encouraged to actively contribute to a deep understanding of how design is set to address and affect change within contemporary society.
Whatever your background or previous degree we expect you to examine your own practice. This might be in a traditional field of design such as graphic design, product design, fashion design, interior design etc. Other fields such as teaching, social science, humanities, curating, engineering, science and business are also considered practices and welcome on the programme.
The Design - Expanded Practice programme, offered by Goldsmiths, University of London, is structured around thematic areas of investigation (Studios) which situates you (the practitioner) in a particular field of study and reference. Each Studio will be encouraged to build an identity within the programme; supporting diverse practice, building a rich identity and attracting a broad range of applicants.
The studio offering will be tailored each year to the skills/expertise of applicants and in response to the changing nature of the design field and the world around us.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Studio Expanded Practice
- Design Transfocality
- Extended Study
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply early to avoid disappointment
- After this date applications will be processed on a rolling basis as long as there are still places available.
DisciplinesDesign View 416 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
- You should have (or expect to be awarded) an undergraduate degree of at least upper second class in a relevant/related subject.
- If you don't have a related undergraduate degree we also welcome those who have significant practical experience in a design-related field: you will be judged on the relevance of your previous work experience and on your art and/or design work.
- We expect a high standard of achievement in design or other creative practice, and competencies in the use of equipment used to produce design work.
- You need to present, in portfolio and at interview, evidence of evolved critical and creative thinking in design.
International20360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20360 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
EU/EEA10450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10450 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.