This History MA course offered at the University of Southampton will engage you with leading researchers in a variety fields, from the Ancient world to the 'war on terror'. You can choose to study history from across the world, including Britain, continental Europe, North America, Africa and Asia.
You'll learn to study new themes, interrogate sources, debate interpretations and share in the fascination we have with the documented past. You'll have the chance to explore history from a wide range of perspectives including:
- ordinary life
- varying identities
At Southampton, you can choose how to investigate the past. You'll have access to research seminars to develop your expertise in areas that interest you, and undertake research projects to further your understanding. We'll encourage you to consider different genres of history and the public communication of historical ideas, and develop your skills with our library and archive collections.
- This course combines training in research skills and historiography with a wide range of options, from antiquity to the late 20th century. You may wish to follow one of our themed pathways: British History, European History, Imperial History, History of the Americas. These allow you to explore a region or concept across a number of modules, however you may prefer to adopt a pick-and-mix approach and choose modules that suit your own interests.The History programme is delivered by University of Southampton.
- Either way, you will be taught by leading scholars in their fields, gaining an insight into current research and making your own contribution through your dissertation.
- The Medieval World: sources and approaches in pre-modern history
- English Social and Cultural Life in the Long Eighteenth Century
- Jewish Society and Culture in Eastern Europe
- Jews and Non-Jews: relations from antiquity to modernity
- New Approaches to American History
- Approaches to the Long Eighteenth Century
- Shakespeare and his World
- Remaking Rome
- Research Skills and Dissertation Preparation
- History Dissertation
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 172 other Masters in Modern History in United Kingdom
- You’ll need a 2:1 degree in history or a related subject.
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.