The Master's specialisation in Tourism and Culture focuses on managing the challenges and opportunities of the rapid growth of tourism. This programme takes an interdisciplinary approach, combining a number of topics within the humanities.
This programme is unique in the Netherlands, and combines the world of academic research with practical, on-the-job training. You will also benefit from Radboud's extensive network in the field of cultural tourism, allowing you to opportunities for international fieldwork at renowned academic institutes.
What will you learn?
Gain a theoretical background of the role of culture in tourism throughout history
Understand the role of tradition in tourism, and the potential problems that may arise
Gain valuable practical skills to bridge the gap between theory and practice
- Learn how to design, conduct and present your own research
As an academic expert in cultural tourism, you will be able to offer a creative, critical and well-informed contribution to the tourism industry and the cultural sector.
Depending on your own initiative and talents, this Master’s specialisation will help you to become (for example):
- a policy maker at a municipality
- a project leader at a heritage site
- a publicist for a lifestyle magazine or travel appendix of a newspaper
- a communication or education officer at a heritage site
- an entrepreneur developing new formats and tours
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Cultural History of Tourism: from Grand Tour to City Trip
- Tourism and Culture: Theories and Trends
- Tourism and Cultural Heritage: Traditions and Dilemmas
- Tourism on Location: International Field Work
- Tourism on Demand
- Remaking Tourism: Between Theory and Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- 1 April: Final deadline
- 1 July: Final deadline
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Tourism & Leisure View 115 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Your admission into this programme depends on your previous education. You are admissible if you have a completed Bachelor's degree with Bachelor thesis in Archaeology, Art History, History, Literary Studies, Cultural Studies, Media Studies, English, Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Philosophy, Liberal Arts or a related discipline. Your degree has to be equivalent to a Dutch research university diploma.
- The Admission Board will determine if an international student has the required knowledge to be admitted.
- Proficiency in English
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak which has led to the temporary closure of test centres, Radboud University currently also accepts the iBT TOEFL Special Home Edition. For all other questions regarding the coronavirus please visit our FAQ.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Nijmegen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
We have a number of scholarships available only for international Master’s students. You can find the full list, including details about eligibility requirements and how to apply, on the university's website
- Please do note, that most of these scholarships are not fully funded. The Radboud Scholarship Programme (RSP) is the only scholarship that offers both fully and partially funded scholarships.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.