Studies in the Data Science from University of Helsinki include both theoretical and practical components, including a variety of study methods (lectures, exercises, projects, seminars; done both individually and in groups). Especially in applied data science, we also use problem-based learning methods, so that you can address real-world issues. You will also practise academic skills such as scientific writing and oral presentation throughout your studies. You are encouraged to include an internship in your degree in order to obtain practical experience in the field.
Upon graduating from the Data Science MSc programme, you will have solid knowledge of the central concepts, theories, and research methods of data science as well as applied skills.
In particular, you will be able to:
- Understand the general computational and probabilistic principles underlying modern machine learning and data mining algorithms
- Apply various computational and statistical methods to analyse scientific and business data
- Assess the suitability of each method for the purpose of data collection and use
- Implement state-of-the-art machine learning solutions efficiently using high-performance computing platforms
- Undertake creative work, making systematic use of investigation or experimentation, to discover new knowledge
- Report results in a clear and understandable manner
- Analyse scientific and industrial data to devise new applications and support decision making.
If you are focusing on the core areas of data science, you will typically find employment as a researcher or consultant, sometimes after taking a PhD in Computer Science or Statistics to deepen your knowledge of the field and research methods.
If your focus is on the use of data science for specific applications, you will typically find work in industry or in other fields of science such as physics, digital humanities, biology or medicine.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Distributed Data Infrastructures
- Statistical Data Science (substitutes Bayesian Inference)
- Data Science Seminar
- Data Science Project
- Academic Skills for Data Science
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Sciences Data Science & Big Data Machine Learning View 10 other Masters in Data Science & Big Data in Finland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Eligibility to apply for a master's programme requires an applicable bachelor's degree or other equivalent qualification.
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.