The Biological and Environmental Science programme offered by University of Jyväskylä contains two specialization areas (majors):
- sustainable management of inland aquatic resources
- ecology and evolutionary biology
Students are assigned to one of these majors based on their application letter and academic background.
The aquatic major focusses on environmental and biological processes that determine the characteristics and ecosystem services of inland waters and ecologically, economically and socially sustainable use of natural resources. The ecology major focusses on fundamental concepts and theories of ecology, genetics, and evolutionary biology and the ability to use these at the individual, population, community and ecosystem level.
Graduates will be able to:
- apply theories and use the primary literature and empirical observations to answer scientific questions.
- use their knowledge to develop solutions to practical questions.
- obtain, evaluate and incorporate the latest knowledge of scientific problems using appropriate scientific practices and following ethical principles.
Globally, there is a growing need for experts in the field of biological and environmental science. This global demand is expected to continue or even increase due to global environmental problems caused by human population growth and decrease in natural resources.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The programme requires completion of 120 ETCS credits within 2 years, with compulsory (85 ECTS) and optional (35 ECTS) components.
- The compulsory part include transferable skills (20 ECTS: scientific writing, independent seminar work and individual training in a research group, language studies, 20 ECTS), individual thesis work (30 ECTS) and 35 ECTS compulsory subject studies for either Aquatic science or Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. These subject studies include lectures, practicals (in the laboratory, computer class and in the field) and book examinations.
- Specialisation is possible through the selection of the optional courses (35 ECTS) and choice of topic for the individual thesis. This individual research project (e.g. thesis work) with associated courses and seminars, in which independent research skills are developed, is a core part of the programme.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesBiology Environmental Sciences View 11 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral degree, which gives eligibility to Master’s level education in the country in which the degree was issued. Applicants holding a degree, which gives eligibility to Doctoral programmes, should primarily seek admission to Doctoral level. Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree in an appropriate subject (e.g. biology, ecology, evolutionary biology, environmental science) from a university with an internationally recognised academic standing, or equivalent qualifications, and proven interest in science.
- The Students who have already completed their M.Sc. studies in similar degree programme cannot be admitted to this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
University of Jyväskylä offers scholarships covering tuition fee costs for its most successful international Master’s degree students. You are eligible for a JYU scholarship if you are
- eligible to apply to study in an IMDP offered by JYU
- liable to pay tuition fees: please see our FAQ
Scholarships are granted based on the admission criteria of the programme in question.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.